How do I install Win7 RC on Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H - The installation fails: Resolved: NVIDIA video related RRS feed

• Question

• My hardware setup:
    * Intel C2D E6320
    * Brand new GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard 
    <a href="http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2691&ProductName=GA-73PVM-S2H"> LINK </a>

* 2GB x 2 = 4 GB of Crucial DDR2 800
    * Sony IDE CD Rom (slave)
    * Maxtor IDE HD 80GB (Master)  -> Alternatively I have also tried a 500GB SATA HD - but had more problems perhaps with drivers.
    * 400 W Power supply
    I have nothing else on this setup - very bare minimums.

Issue:
    Scenario 1: I tried installing Win 7 RC build - clean install - newly formatted drive. It fails at some point - and I dont know the exact reason (Are there some logs I can look at?

Scenario 2: I went to Gigabyte website and found "NVIDIA MCP73 Chipset Driver (include chipset\lan\sata raid driver)" - which I loaded onto a USB - and attempted to load during "Partition disk and load drivers" phase of Wn 7 install... In this scenario, I get to the very end stage of Win7 install - where the "copying files, installing programs, configuring" is displayed.. at the very last stage, the computer seems to reboot - and upon reboot, I get to the screen where I have to specify whether I want to run Win 7 in safe mode or normally.

If I run it normally, I get an error that install didnt complete successfully and I need to reboot and let setup complete - rebooting just gets me back to same state.
    If I run in safe mode, it says setup cannot continue in safe mode - and so I am stuck. Win 7 CD - repair my installation doesnt work either.
    I am stuck and I cannot install Win 7 RC - and am frustrated.

I have not tried vista - since I dont own a vista copy. Need help.
    • Edited by Sky usc Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:33 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• I finally got it to work - thx to your suggestions about nVidia video being the problem. it indeed appears to be the case.

Here is how I got it to work:
    1. Motherboard has both VGA and DVI (and hdmi). Originally I had a 16:9 monitor on DVI (1440x900 native), and a 4:3 monitor on VGA (1280x1024 native). This time around, I disconnected the DVI and only plugged in the 4:3 LCD on VGA.
    2. Ran Windows 7 setup.. load the sata_ide drivers from nvidia.com. Setup completed successfully.

upon reboot, win 7 automatically updated the nvidia drivers. I later went to nvidia.com and downloaded all the windows 7 drivers for video and motherboard. Now my system seems to be working well.

What did NOT work:
    1. During setup of win7 where I am prompted to load drivers, I could not load the win7 display drivers that I got from nvidia.com.
    2. I did not bother using SATA drive. just used the IDE drive.

Thx for your help snifferpro!
    • Edited by Sky usc Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by 8347 Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:07 AM
  • One doesn't really know. but there have been tons of issues with nvidia cardds reported here.

See the thread BSOD Rc 7 i think it is.

you can look at the ntbtlog.txt file to see what driver loaded last.

I initially had black scree with nvidia 9800gt but used a CRT to get by that
    and downloaded win 7 drivers from EVGA and put my LCD back on.

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 4gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.6
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:50 PM

All replies

• ntbtlog.txt

In Scenario 1 did it reboot to a black screen?
    Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi, Intel E8500 processor, 4gb DDR3 Gskill, Evga Nvidia Geforce 9800GT 512mb, onboard Marvel lan, onboard Ralink Wifi, Onboard Soundmax, 1 500gb Sata 2 hard drive, 1 sata DVD drive. Win Bus 64, Win 7 64, Mac os x 10.5.6
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:00 PM
  • I believe so - it was hard to tell because the result was that computer will reboot to BIOS. I assumed it might have something to do with SATA support - perhaps loading AHCP / ACHP (or whatever that is) drivers was needed. I did try to use the drivers from Gigabyte's website using "load drivers" I believe I picked the "sata_ide" drivers option.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Do you also have an nvidia video card?

You should try to use AHCI for your sata drives.

I don't think it's your drives giving you the problem.

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:30 PM
  • You appear to have an integrated Nvidia garphis unit.

How many video ports does it have?

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:41 PM
  • I am using the onboard GeForce 7100 wideo card:
    Product: nForce 630i - GeForce 7100

Questions:
    1. How does one know if it is Hard Disk or video related? What makes you think its video related?
    2. Are there any logs of failure I can analyze?
    3. During the "partition disk/load drivers" phase, can I load multiple drivers? Or just one driver? If I load drivers one after another, windows 7 setup doesnt make it clear to me whether I am just loading the last driver that I specified or all drivers that I clicked to load via load drivers.

EDIT: It has 2 video ports - One DVI and one VGA - and I have a monitor connected on each of them using one DVI cable and one VGA cable. Both monitors are different aspect ratio: 4:3 and 16:9 - don't know if that matters.

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:45 PM
  • How many video ports does it have?

It has 2 video ports - One DVI and one VGA - and I have a monitor connected on each of them using one DVI cable and one VGA cable. Both monitors are different aspect ratio: 4:3 and 16:9 - don't know if that matters.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:48 PM
  • One doesn't really know. but there have been tons of issues with nvidia cardds reported here.

See the thread BSOD Rc 7 i think it is.

you can look at the ntbtlog.txt file to see what driver loaded last.

I initially had black scree with nvidia 9800gt but used a CRT to get by that
    and downloaded win 7 drivers from EVGA and put my LCD back on.

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:50 PM
  • What would your suggestion be for me to do?
    1. Keep both monitors on DVI/VGA ports?
    2. Keep DVI only monitor on
    3. Keep VGA only monitor on
    4. Disable onboard video and use ATI Radeon PCIe card that I had with my old system? - I am guessing this is best approach to first get a successful OS install?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:55 PM
  • I would try just the CRT (not an LCD).  Try it on 1 port and if you get black screen
    move it to second port.  This is in screnario 1 - Do not load any drivers when asked.

Were you able to look at ntbtlog.txt in the root on win 7 hard drive?

Monday, May 11, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I will try that tonight when I go home. Am at work today. Hoping that works. Thx for your help.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:03 PM
  • I finally got it to work - thx to your suggestions about nVidia video being the problem. it indeed appears to be the case.

Here is how I got it to work:
    1. Motherboard has both VGA and DVI (and hdmi). Originally I had a 16:9 monitor on DVI (1440x900 native), and a 4:3 monitor on VGA (1280x1024 native). This time around, I disconnected the DVI and only plugged in the 4:3 LCD on VGA.
    2. Ran Windows 7 setup.. load the sata_ide drivers from nvidia.com. Setup completed successfully.

upon reboot, win 7 automatically updated the nvidia drivers. I later went to nvidia.com and downloaded all the windows 7 drivers for video and motherboard. Now my system seems to be working well.

What did NOT work:
    1. During setup of win7 where I am prompted to load drivers, I could not load the win7 display drivers that I got from nvidia.com.
    2. I did not bother using SATA drive. just used the IDE drive.

Thx for your help snifferpro!
    • Edited by Sky usc Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by 8347 Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:07 AM
  • No problem. 

I think the load drivers options at setup option is only for disk drivers.

Good luck testing.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:06 AM
  • OMG! Thanks, it worked! Unplugged HDMI- and DVI-Cables. Used an old VGA Cable for my TFT and it all worked. Windows then installs the nVidia driver right after you log in the first time. After that HDMI and DVI work. Cool.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Screenshot here

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H, with nVIDIA  7100/630i chipset
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Hey Sky,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you were with this motherboard, the only difference is that I'm using a SATA HDD in place of an IDE HDD.

I've followed the suggestions above but have still hit a road block, before I ditch the SATA HDD can you just confirm which of the SATA_IDE drivers you used?  Obviously there are a few to choose from, and I just wanted to check I've covered all bases before dropping in an IDE HDD.  (I'm hoping that leaving the board in IDE mode would get me through the OS install until I can get the full drivers up and running.)

Thanks for any time you can spare me...

IK
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Hi IK,

You should try to login to BIOS and switch your HDD interface from ACHI to IDE

YK
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:22 AM