none
Restore an inconsistent database RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to restore a database where the replica is inconsistent?   Possibly going back to an earlier recovery point?
    Monday, July 29, 2013 8:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can always restore from a good recovery point regardless if the replica is inconsistent.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:00 AM
  • I've found in some situations that no recovery points are shown in the console.  This is currently happening on a secondary dpm server.  Is that an issue with the GUI?
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

I am not aware of any problems in that area, it would need to be investigated while in that condition.

See if this powershell script lists them.

# Shows all recovery points on selected data sources in a PG
    $version="V1.2" 
    $confirmpreference = "None"
    $MB=1024*1024
    $logfile="SHOW-RecoveryPoints-DS-disk.LOG"
    $wait=10	#seconds

function Show_help
    {
    	cls
    #	$l="=" * 79
    #	write-host $l -foregroundcolor magenta
    #	write-host -nonewline "<<<" -foregroundcolor white
    #	write-host -nonewline "<<<" 
    #	write-host ">>>" -foregroundcolor white
    #	write-host $l -foregroundcolor magenta
    	write-host "Version: $version" -foregroundcolor cyan
            write-host "User Selects data source to Show DISK BASED recovery points for" -foregroundcolor green
    	write-host "Appending to log file $logfile`n" -foregroundcolor white
    	write-host "User Accepts all responsibilities by entering a data source or just pressing [Enter] " -foregroundcolor white -backgroundcolor blue

}

" ">> $logfile
    "****************** NEW RUN **********************" >> $logfile
    "Version $version" >> $logfile
    get-date >> $logfile
    show_help

$DPMservername=&"hostname"
    "Selected DPM server = $DPMservername" >> $logfile
    write-host "`nConnnecting to DPM server retrieving data source list...`n" -foregroundcolor green
    $pglist = Get-ProtectionGroup $DPMservername
    $ds=$null
    foreach ($onepg in $pglist) {$ds += (get-datasource $onepg)}
    $ds =$ds + ( Get-Datasource $DPMservername -inactive)
    #$ds | format-table -autosize
    $i=0
    foreach ($l in $ds) {
    	"[{0}] {1} `t`t {2}" -f $i,$l.psinfo.netbiosname, $l.logicalpath
    	$i++
    	}
    $DSname=read-host "Enter a data source index from list above "
    if (!$DSname) 
    {
    	write-host "No datasource selected `n" -foregroundcolor yellow
    	"Aborted on Datasource name" >> $logfile
    	exit 0
    }
    $DSselected=$ds[$DSname]
    "Selected datasource = $DSselected" >> $logfile
    $DSselected
    #$DSselected=$ds | where {$_.name -eq $DSname}
    if (!$DSselected) 
    {
    	write-host "No datasource selected `n" -foregroundcolor yellow
    	"Aborted on Datasource name" >> $logfile
    	exit 0
    }

write-host "`nCollecting recoverypoint information for datasource $DSselected.name" -foregroundcolor green
    $oldShadowUsage=[math]::round($DSselected.ShadowCopyUsedspace/$MB,1)
    $line=("Total DISK recoverypoint usage {0} MB in {1} recovery points" -f $oldShadowUsage ,$DSselected.TotalRecoveryPoints  ) 
    write-host $line`n -foregroundcolor white
    $line >> $logfile

[datetime]$enddate=get-date -uformat %D
    write-host "Showing recovery points for $DSselected" -foregroundcolor yellow
    $rp=get-recoverypoint $DSselected
    $RPselected=$rp | where {($_.Isincremental -eq $FALSE)-and ($_.DataLocation -eq "Disk")}
    if (!$RPselected) 
    {
    	write-host "No recovery points found!" -foregroundcolor yellow
    	"No recovery points found, aborting...!" >> $logfile
    	exit 0
    }

foreach ($onerp in $RPselected)
    {
    	$rtime=[string]$onerp.representedpointintime
    		$dlocation=[string]$onerp.DataLocation
    		$rsize=[math]::round(($onerp.size/$MB),1)
    		$line= "Found {0} size {1} MB  Incremental={2} Location={3}"-f $rtime, $rsize,$onerp.Isincremental,$Dlocation
            $line >> $logfile
    	write-host "$line" -foregroundcolor yellow
    	#
    	#Get dependent rp's for data source
    	#
    	$allRPtbd=$DSselected.GetAllRecoveryPointsToBeDeleted($onerp)
    	foreach ($oneDrp in $allRPtbd)
    	{
    		if ($oneDrp.IsIncremental -eq $FALSE) {continue}
    		$rtime=[string]$oneDrp.representedpointintime
    		$rsize=[math]::round(($oneDrp.size/$MB),1)
    		$line= ("`t...is dependancy for {0} size {1} `tIncremental={2}" -f $rtime, $rsize, $oneDrp.Isincremental) 
    		$line >> $logfile
                    write-host "$line" -foregroundcolor yellow
    	}
    }

$line >> $logfile
    $line="These RP's include only DISK and dependent recovery points"
    write-host $line -foregroundcolor red 
    #$line="Data source activity = " + $DSselected.Activity
    write-host "Open SHOW-RecoveryPoints-DS-disk.LOG now ?" 
    write-host "Enter <<< Y/N >>>" -foregroundcolor white
    $Y=read-host
    if ($Y -eq "Y")
    {
    Notepad SHOW-RecoveryPoints-DS-disk.LOG
    }
    else
    {
    exit 0
    }

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:17 PM
  • got this:

Version V1.2

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:00:03 PM
    Selected DPM server = NY1PWDPM08
    Selected datasource = NC2PWCSQL1404\NC2PWCSQL1404\EMDBW_DM_RPT on computer SQL Server (NC2PWCSQL1404).nc2pwcsql14.us.ad.lfg.com
    Total DISK recoverypoint usage 0 MB in 0 recovery points
    No recovery points found, aborting...!

A consistency check fails.  Here's part of the alert.  Not sure what "device is not connected" means.

An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The device is not connected (0x8007048F))

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

OK - so that appears to be the heart of the problem, the DPM logs should provide more details. Looks like a possible storage pool issue.  Please open a support ticket if you cannot figure out the issue.  You may need to stop and re-establish secondary protection if it's time critical to resolve the issue. 

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Is there a specific log and error I should be searching for?  Specific storage command I shoul drun?

I can stop protection and reprotect to see if that fixes things. 

If that doesn't work I'll open a support ticket.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:56 PM
  • I found this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e67338cb-30bd-4397-9d89-cbc041f0b0dd/secondary-dpm-does-not-sync-with-primary-3170-8007048f which referenced RAW volumes on the primary which effected the secondary.  After deleting the volumes I was able run a CC.   It seems as if I had this problem once before(which I didn't remember).

Can you explain why there's a connection between the RAW volumes on the primary and the secondary?

• Marked as answer by gamagl Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:46 PM
  • hi,

To be honest, unless the raw volume is associated with the primary data source, I don't see the correlation, and deleting it would not be the entire solution.  Barring a repro, i'm afraid I cannot provide more insight, but glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:16 AM