none
When assigning a user a personal folder and making them owner, my admin account cannot access it any longer

Question

• When assigning a user a personal folder and making them owner, my admin account cannot access it any longer

Hi!

So when we create a user folder for a new user on the server,  we make the new user "owner" in Advanced Security Settings. Before this, an inherited permission is giving full access to the folder and subfolders to the File Server Admins group of which I am a part of. Well, once we click OK assigning the new user "Owner" of the folder, my permissions go away. Is this normal? I don't know why this happens. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you checked if the security group has gone away from the security tab of the folder properties after changing the ownership? And have you tried to re-add it back?
    I have tested in my lab environment, I am sorry that the same behavior is not reproduced.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Thanks for assisting Wendy. We do not have any group named "SECURITY". Therefore I cannot add it. Is this a default group in AD?

This only happens sometimes which is strange. Like now, when I basically made the user owner again, I can still access it fine.

When it happens, the only way I can see effective permissions is when I take ownership and when I do, there are no other entries in the Security tab. Only I am listed there as owner. Now when I re-enable inheritance, I pull in permissions from the preceding folder which are...

- SYSTEM (full access)

- Administrators (full access)

- File Server Admins (full Access)

I then add the user and grant full access. 

Thanks for your help!

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:06 PM
  • I think what Wendy was trying to say is the security group that gave administrators access to that folder such as "Domain Admins". Is there a security group that used to be there that is no longer there? Can you add back either the Domain Admins group or the administrator account and grant them the access you require?

Please remember to select Mark as Answer if someone provides the answer or mark as helpful if the response helps to lead you in the right direction.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:54 AM