After Sequencing Outlook 2007 "Mailto:" doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, we have a full local install of Office 2010. One of the Outlook plugins hasn't been updated to work on that yet, so we've removed Outlook 2010 and packaged Outlook 2007.

It works properly apart from if a user clicks an email address in any other program including mailto: links within web pages.

How do we create that association?

Thanks

Kieran

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:16 PM

Answers

• What I did was, add .MAPIMAIL as a FTA in the OSD which when streamed to the clients machine removes the "Mail to" shortcut and assign a shortcut into the users send to menu for Outlook 2007.

Job done :)

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 5, 2010 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:58 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:20 PM

All replies

• You'll need to register "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" /LAUNCH "<insert Outlook 2007 package name here" as the default mail handler.

Some detail on how to do that here: http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1263

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Thanks for that quick reply.

I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Kieran

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:27 PM
  • What I did was, add .MAPIMAIL as a FTA in the OSD which when streamed to the clients machine removes the "Mail to" shortcut and assign a shortcut into the users send to menu for Outlook 2007.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 5, 2010 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 1:58 PM
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:20 PM
  • You'll need to register "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" /LAUNCH "<insert Outlook 2007 package name here" as the default mail handler.

Some detail on how to do that here: http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1263

That hasn't worked for me so far, here is what I've put in the registry:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" /LAUNCH "2007 Microsoft Office component 12.0.6414.1000" %1

The %1 seems to make no difference - not sure if I've got that bit right or not.

Anyway, going to "default programs" does not list any App-v software as a possibility. There just isn't good OS integration (the way I've packaged at least, perhaps I've missed something)

Monday, July 5, 2010 3:46 PM

So, am I reading your post right? You make the mailto function fail and get people to use "send to" from the context menu instead?

Thanks

Kieran

Monday, July 5, 2010 3:49 PM

So, am I reading your post right? You make the mailto function fail and get people to use "send to" from the context menu instead?

Thanks

Kieran

Kinda yeah, what it does is it removes that mailto option since it is MAPI and MAPI is not supported via AppV. You then just replace it by placing a shortcut in the OSD pointing to %CSIDL_SENDTO%\Microsoft Outlook
    Monday, July 5, 2010 3:54 PM
  • That hasn't worked for me so far, here is what I've put in the registry:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" /LAUNCH "2007 Microsoft Office component 12.0.6414.1000" %1

The %1 seems to make no difference - not sure if I've got that bit right or not.

Anyway, going to "default programs" does not list any App-v software as a possibility. There just isn't good OS integration (the way I've packaged at least, perhaps I've missed something)

Hmm, I think my advice wasn't up to scratch. You're not going to be able to pass a file name to the command, so that approach won't work.

Go with with Earthworm Jim's approach.

Monday, July 5, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Hmm, I think my advice wasn't up to scratch. You're not going to be able to pass a file name to the command, so that approach won't work.

Go with with Earthworm Jim's approach.

Don't write yourself off too soon - this actually worked for me:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" "Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 12.0.6423.1000" /c ipm.note /m %1

It only works for "mailto:" though which is obviously what I started the thread about - but anything else that uses the "default mail program" fails as it doesn't see Outlook installed

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Kinda yeah, what it does is it removes that mailto option since it is MAPI and MAPI is not supported via AppV. You then just replace it by placing a shortcut in the OSD pointing to %CSIDL_SENDTO%\Microsoft Outlook

Sorry Jim, I don't know where to put this in the OSD - what tags does is need etc.?

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Best thing to do is create a dummy package, just open the signature and capture something, say for example cmd.exe.

When creating the shortcut under the file association section add .MAPIMAIL. Check the OSD it has created after wards and all the info for the .MAPIMAIL FTA is in there, just copy and paste it out and add it into your Outlook OSD file.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:25 PM