what is it? RRS feed

• Question

• for some weeks now i have had problems with my browser disconnecting.  i changed from IE to firefox but it continued and then my mouse would stop working and i get a bubble telling me my computer doesnt recognise device.  i tried changing it to a different USB hub but that didnt work so i plugged in a diffferent mouse but this one is sticky and wont always work.

i have:-

windows vista home premium

32 bit

IE7

Monday, September 8, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Since the Internet connection issue exists in both Internet Explorer and Firefox browser, you should contact with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to solve the problem in timely manner.

As for the mouse issue, please perform the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Plug the mouse onto the computer without using the USB hub and use this mouse on another computer for testing.

Upgrade the driver for your mouse to the latest the version.

Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Hello,

If you have installed some third party software for your mouse device, please temporarily remove them from Control Panel-> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

6) Restart the computer

Remove the DVD-ROM drive

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand "Mice and other pointing devices".

3) Right click your mouse, and click "Uninstall".

4) Then, please restart the computer. Does the mouse woork properly now?

If the problem still persists, I suspect that there might be something wrong with the USB interface or motherboard on this vista computer. You had better send your computer back to the store and have it repaired by some professionals.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since the Internet connection issue exists in both Internet Explorer and Firefox browser, you should contact with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to solve the problem in timely manner.

As for the mouse issue, please perform the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Plug the mouse onto the computer without using the USB hub and use this mouse on another computer for testing.

Upgrade the driver for your mouse to the latest the version.

Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:59 AM
  • ok

i tried as you said.. went to safe mode but the problem still existed after unplugging things not needed and both mice work on the other p.c.

when trying to deal with the drivers, with the original mouse i just get windows does not recognise this device, so i cant check drivers for it.

with the second mouse, it wont let me click on the button to update the drivers.

this is driving me mad.

it took me ages just to get to this page tonight as the mouse is almost useless.

please help asap

thank you

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hello,

If you have installed some third party software for your mouse device, please temporarily remove them from Control Panel-> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

6) Restart the computer

Remove the DVD-ROM drive

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand "Mice and other pointing devices".

3) Right click your mouse, and click "Uninstall".

4) Then, please restart the computer. Does the mouse woork properly now?

If the problem still persists, I suspect that there might be something wrong with the USB interface or motherboard on this vista computer. You had better send your computer back to the store and have it repaired by some professionals.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:58 AM