Server Manager Win2008 R2 - Roles and Features display Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've had this error on other systems and the fix iinvolving installing KB947821 and reviewing the CheckSUR.log has resolved it. However on one system, when i run the Readiness tool it pops-up a message "The update is not applicable to your computer", i've tried both v4 and v5 x64 versions.

I can't install any roles or features on the server and have the following error in the AppLog with event ID 1000 :-

Faulting application name: TrustedInstaller.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc580
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be201
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000033800
    Faulting process id: 0x15e0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb0f01cefd6cd0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 1894def0-7af5-11df-b7fd-002655f3a7fc

Appreciate any responses on how to resolve this.

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Silent G,

Since you’re not able to install System Update Readiness Tool, please perform a clean boot and check whether System Update Readiness Tool can be installed properly.

Please follow the steps below to perform a clean boot. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

1.  Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

1.  Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

1.  Click OK.

1.  When you are prompted, click Restart.

1.  After the computer starts, reinstall System Update Readiness Tool and see whether it works.

Please also disable the anti-virus software in case of any failures.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start , type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

1. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If the problem still persists, please collect cbs.log(C:\Windows\Logs\CBS), servermanger.log(C:\Windows\Logs\CBS) and system information for us to investigate. You can upload the logs to Skydrive and provide the links.

Additionally, please let me know what’s the exact error that prevent you from installing the tool.

Regards,

Karen Ji

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karen Ji Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:34 AM
    Monday, June 21, 2010 8:47 AM