Synchronizing Roaming Profiles Between a V1 & V2 Profile RRS feed

• Question

• In the following document: Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide.doc it says:

The user profile namespace used in Windows XP is identical to the one used in Windows 2000, making interoperability between the operating systems transparent. However, the significant changes in the Windows Vista profile namespace create a challenge. These significant changes prevent Windows Vista from loading user profiles from previous versions of Windows. Also, previous versions of Windows do not load Windows Vista user profiles. Therefore, Windows Vista roaming user profiles will add "v2" to the end of the profile folder. The "v2" is to used isolate Windows Vista roaming user profiles from roaming user profiles created by previous operating systems.

Unfortunately there is no way to migrate a V1 profile to a V2 profile. The two types of profile are incompatible, and trying to move anything between the two will render the V2 profile unusable, and cause serious problems for you (often requiring manual registry editing to fix).

Basically, we are trying to migrate our TS users from a 2003 Server and 2000 Client, to a Windows 7 Client and 2008 R2 Server. The problem is we cannot find a way to synchronize their remote profiles so that the "V1" profiles would get synchronized (even partially) with the "V2" profile. We wanted to migrate the users gradually, first migrating the TS side from 2000 to 2008, and then the client, to ease them in. Is there any way to do this?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• Well, dealing with the different profile versions is painful. I know of a solution to this problem, but it requires a third-party product. Immidio Flex Profiles allows you to manage user profiles independently of the Windows version. In other words, Flex Profiles allows you to either migrate from v1 to v2 profiles or to use v1 and v2 profiles simultaneously. Check out http://www.immidio.com. And please note that the latest version of Immidio Flex Profiles (supporting XP, Vista, Win7, WS2003, WS2008, WS2008R2) is not for free, the list price is 5€ per user, which is approx. US$7.50 per user.

Full disclosure: I am working for Immidio, so I am not completely neutral in this situation. There may also be other solutions to your problem.

Benny
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• Well, dealing with the different profile versions is painful. I know of a solution to this problem, but it requires a third-party product. Immidio Flex Profiles allows you to manage user profiles independently of the Windows version. In other words, Flex Profiles allows you to either migrate from v1 to v2 profiles or to use v1 and v2 profiles simultaneously. Check out http://www.immidio.com. And please note that the latest version of Immidio Flex Profiles (supporting XP, Vista, Win7, WS2003, WS2008, WS2008R2) is not for free, the list price is 5€ per user, which is approx. US$7.50 per user.

Full disclosure: I am working for Immidio, so I am not completely neutral in this situation. There may also be other solutions to your problem.

Benny
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:28 PM
  • As Benny states, there are third party Products but the list is very short on vendors that do this.  His Flex Profiles is one example.  Another is our Liquidware Labs ProfileUnity solution.  It is a complete migration solution as well, with the ability to automatically migrate user data AND documents to a network store (best practices).  ProfileUnity also has a very nice GUI interface for administrators.  What's more is that we do not use any proprietary format for the data store, all data is always kept in Windows native format so you are not locked in to our solution.  Check us out.  The benefits of moving seamlessly from a v1 to v2 profile and back again are wonderful, I also use the product across four different Windows experiences to unify my one profile.   Best Regards,  Jason E. Smith, Liquidware Labs 
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:41 AM
  • I wonder why such cool tools are never provided by Microsoft but by some third party. It seems that Microsoft lacks people who understand their own products (Windows user profiles in this case).

-- rpr.

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Doing my own research, came across several vendors of note, and one open source tool. AppSense, RES and LiquidWare are for profit, and the open source predecessor to LiquidWare is at www.scriptstart.com (works up to W2K3 server environment, Win XP)

A very nice primer on roaming profiles here: http://www.sepago.de/helge/2009/01/14/user-profile-design-a-primer/

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:50 PM