Outlook 2016 folders collapsing RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2016 standard 32bit with Win7 pro 32bit

The folders and sub folders on the left side of Outlook randomly collapse. We have reinstalled Office 2016 and ran the "clean up" utility each time. Also removed keys in the registry related to MS Office.

All set to remain expanded but they collapse randomly. I have applied updates specific to outlook, KB3114861, KB3115147.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Douglas,

Based on my deep research, this is a known issue and it happens randomly cross different users. The fix to this issue will be released soon. Please keep your Outlook up-to-date. We'll keep monitoring on this issue. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue happen at Outlook startup or during using Outlook? If it happens during using Outlook, is it possible to determine what action causes the behavior?

What type of email account are you using? Are you using an IMAP account? IMAP folders will always start collapsed and will remain collapsed even when a new message is being delivered to any of its folders.

Please try starting Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe) and then check if this issue continues. This will help determine if this issue is related to problematic add-ins.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, July 8, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:57 AM
  • http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/folder-pane-in-outlook-2016-keeps-disappearing/782e2635-3aac-441d-b74b-8512cde5b035/?auth=1

Check this link, although truth be told it didn't help me much. It seems like a bug to me that has not been resolved yet.

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Thank you for the update. Do you mean the folder pane keeps collapsed or keeps disappeared?

Have you tried starting Outlook with /resetnavpane command? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /resetnavpane and press Enter.

Do you have Outlook folder pane option set to Normal? To check this, go to View tab > Layout group > Folder Pane, make sure Normal is checked.

In addition, what's the build number of your Outlook program? Please make sure you have installed all available updates to your Outlook and then check if this issue continues.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Edited by Steve Fan Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:35 AM typo
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion, it is good for future reference but, did not work.

Still not fixed. I un-installed MS Office 2016, cleared the residual files and registry keys and then reloaded MS Office 2016 only to experience the same problem.

Next, I will disable her profile (rename adding .bak), then allow windows to create a new profile and try it again.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Would you please provide a screenshot to us so that we can understand the issue more clearly? Do you mean you Outlook folder pane keeps showing like this?

I haven't noticed this issue in my Outlook 2016 (16.0.7030.1016). Please makes sure you have installed all available updates for Outlook 2016 and then check if this issue continues.

In addition, the folder pane settings are stored in the <profilename>.xml file in the following location:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

When reinstalling Outlook, do you have the .xml file deleted? If not, we may also try to delete the <profilename>.xml file and then start Outlook and change the Outlook folder pane option to Normal via View tab > Layout group > Folder Pane. After that, check if this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, July 25, 2016 2:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:05 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:31 AM
  • Just wanted to say hi and check if there is anything that I can do for you on this problem. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Try to stop HARDWARE ACCELERATION

FILE/options/advanced/display

Disable hardware graphics acceleration

if this doesn't help

try to uncheck

Use subpixel positioning to smooth fonts on screen

Monday, July 25, 2016 8:19 AM
  • We took drastic measures to correct this issue. We backed up the user profile and upgraded the system to Windows 10-64bit, then reinstalled MS Office 2016-64bit. The problem returned after a couple hours. My thought is to "downgrade" to MS Office 2013 at this point.

Could this be coming from the profile on the Exchange server?

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi Douglas,

Based on my deep research, this is a known issue and it happens randomly cross different users. The fix to this issue will be released soon. Please keep your Outlook up-to-date. We'll keep monitoring on this issue. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Thank you for that info. I look forward to having this resolved.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Thank you for your understanding and patience:)

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:37 AM
  • I will be "downgrading" the user to MS Office 2013 until the problem is resolved. I hope this takes care of the problem until a fix is available.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:02 PM
  • Un-installing Office 2016 and installing Office 2013 did not fix the problem. Could this be related to the email server (Exchange) somehow?
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't received any report that this issue happens with Outlook 2013. What version of Exchange server are you using? Are you using Exchange Online?

In addition, I'd recommend you try using the easy fix tool to make sure Office 2016 is completely uninstalled from your computer and then check if this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, July 29, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Hi Douglas,

Any update on this issue?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:52 AM
  • I ran the easy fix tool, removing Office 2013. Removed all references to Office in the registry, removing all app data from the user profile, and any Office folders in the programs directory.

Restarted the computer, reloaded MS Office 2013, restarted the computer again and had the user log in.

The problem is still there.

I have been examining her profile on the exchange server but, have not resolved the problem yet.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Does this issue continue if we have the user logon to another computer? Please also try to logon to this computer using another user account to see the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:57 AM typo
    Monday, August 8, 2016 2:47 AM
  • I have logged into the system and tried to recreate the problem. It does not happen to me. I had the user log into another computer and she did not have that problem. She did not create all of the folders, sub folders, and sub-sub folders she has on the other system since there are too many.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:29 PM
  • New info: we logged the user into a new system and waited while exchange updated all of her email folders and the navigation pane shows all of her folders, sub-sub folders, etc.

The problem DOES occur after a few minutes, collapsing a bunch of her folders in the left pane ("navigation pane").

We are looking for the folders to remain expanded, all the time.

Could this be related to the size or number of folders (she has a lot of them)?

Here is a screen shot showing some of the folders expanded, if that helps.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Thank you for the update! Seems there are some misunderstanding on this issue. From your last posting, you mean some folders keep collapsed rather than the left pane keeps disappeared, correct?

Does the user have her Inbox and other folders that receive emails (for instance by a rule) added to Favorites? If so, please try removing these folders from Favorites and then check if this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:59 AM
  • Has a fix been created for this as of yet?  My Outlook 2016 randomy encountered this within the past few days.  The folders / subfolders on the left pane all collapse to just Inbox.  I'll expand them then try to drag an email from Inbox into it and before I have a chance they collapse again.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Randomly collapsing folders has been a recent issue I've had with Outlook 2016 where my Inbox will collapse from showing the subfolders of Inbox to just showing the Inbox folder.

This happens whether I'm selecting a folder or message in an expanded subfolder, or whether I'm dragging a message into a subfolder and doesn't happen everytime, hence the random description above.

Email is Imap on microsoft exchange server.  Other users on other workstations are not having this problem.  

We've had Outlook 2016 for over a year and this only been a problem recently.  

The only significant thing changed on my workstation in the last few weeks was a new Antivrus software installed called ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

It's becoming an annoyance.....

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:20 AM
  • Hi, a number of our users are running Office 2016, they use a shared mailbox frequently between them and *within the past week* each user is finding that if they expand the inbox's folder tree in the navigation pane so they can see all of the sub folders in the shared mailbox the tree randomly collapses back to Inbox every minute or so. They have had Office 2016 for a few months now and this issue has only emerged in the last week.

I've tested this on a machine up here and have found the same thing, the folders usually only stay open for around a minute - sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. This is how long it took to happen when I did some testing:

Test 1: 1 minute 6 seconds

Test 2: 1 minute 10 seconds

Test 3: 3 minutes 40 seconds

These times *seem* to be random and don't seem to be related to new mail coming in or syncs.

The mailbox is added through 'Account Settings > Change > More Settings > Advanced > Open additional mailboxes', caching is enabled. As far as I can see the issue only occurs for shared mailboxes, not for the users own primary mailbox.

Can anybody help with this?

Thanks

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:08 PM
  • I am having this same problem. I have 3 email accounts (outlook.com, hotmail.com and live.ca). One account works fine in that when I start Outlook, the folders are expanded how I left it. The other 2 accounts however always collapse when I launch Outlook and do not hold the settings after I close Outlook. It is very annoying.

I recently got a new laptop and when I installed Outlook 2016, the problem vanished. I have since reformatted the same new laptop (for other reasons) only to get this problem again. I had the problem previously on another computer. It seems to be random.

• Edited by DrZEUS1010 Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:41 AM
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hiya, I'm not sure that this is quite the same problem - the problem I am reporting (and I believe the original poster was reporting)  is the folders randomly collapsing while Outlook is still open, rather than collapsing when Outlook is closed and restarted.

Thanks

Fred

Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Hi Steve, was there ever a fix for this? It's driving our users mad and I'm bearing the brunt of their rage and despair!
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Found a workaround: Select the mailbox root, go to FOLDER tab, click 'Show all Folders A to Z'

Sorted it for my users. Hope this helps
    • Proposed as answer by Fred Fulford Monday, June 5, 2017 2:27 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 2:27 PM
  • could you please confirm what is the solution? as of today I keep having the same issue of collapsing folders same outlook as in the thread subject. thanks,
    Monday, July 17, 2017 8:37 PM
  • not sure if this is the same issue.....I have quite a few folders in email that I use...in the past whatever folders I had expanded remained that way...they did not collapse unless I physically collapsed them. My work computer was just updated to outlook 365 and each time I close email or shutdown all the folders collapse.... I must each day open the more often accessed folders......this is getting very tedious...the work around below does not work.  it sounds like this has been an issue for almost a year...you would think there would be a permanent resolution by now....thanks

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:05 PM
  • Have you tried using the Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT)?  This has recently  been replaced with Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365 (SaRA).  I haven't tried the new tool, but the original tool works wonders for our Office issues.  
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 7:02 PM