none
Replace with larger primary hard drive in laptop now showing old drive size. Windows 7. 650gb to 1tb Drive change

Question

• My primary HDD was failing so I backed it up and replaced it with a larger 1TB drive.  After reinstalling everything the new drive is displaying the same size as my old drive and the extra space available is unallocated.  I can allocate it as a separate drive but I find that annoying and would prefer to just have my primary C: drive show up with all of the available space.  I formatted the extra space and made it available separately as drive G hoping that I could EXPAND drive C but that option is not highlighted as selectable on drive C for some reason.  Should I just live with this extra space or is there a way to easily combine C and the new G space?
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:07 AM

Answers

• If you delete your G: partition you should then have the option to expand the C: partition.  If you don't get the option to expand without your G: partition there are 3rd party utilities that should allow you to expand the C: partition.

The internet has thousands of posts about expanding partition: Expand Windows 7 partition    

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you want to expand your C drive space as removing G drive space?

If it does, please backup the data in G drive first. Then right click "Computer" > “Manage" > "Disk Management". Please right click G drive and delete it in Disk Manager. After that, you will find the unallocated drive.

Right click the C drive and choose "expend the volume". Then you will finish expanding.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• If you delete your G: partition you should then have the option to expand the C: partition.  If you don't get the option to expand without your G: partition there are 3rd party utilities that should allow you to expand the C: partition.

The internet has thousands of posts about expanding partition: Expand Windows 7 partition    

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you want to expand your C drive space as removing G drive space?

If it does, please backup the data in G drive first. Then right click "Computer" > “Manage" > "Disk Management". Please right click G drive and delete it in Disk Manager. After that, you will find the unallocated drive.

Right click the C drive and choose "expend the volume". Then you will finish expanding.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:39 AM