Steps to upgrade App-V 5.0 SP2 to App-V 5.0 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Pro´s,

I want to update my whole app-v-setup from 5.0 SP2 to 5.0 SP3.
    When searching for the upgrade-steps I found this article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn858700.aspx#BKMK_migrate_to_50SP3

In there you can find a step which is used to check and update registry keys with the ones that you have defined in your base installation - I didn´t set any keys by myself?

Could somebody please tell me what I have to do with those keys?

I´ve already checked my registry and there are lots of keys that miss completly like:

MANAGEMENT_SERVER_MACHINE_USE_LOCAL
    or
    MANAGEMENT_REMOTE_SERVER_MACHINE_ACCOUNT

But my App-V 5.0 SP2-environment is running fine.

Best regards and thanks in advance
    GoProo

/e: Just upgraded the App-V-Mgmt-Server without doing anything before that. It created those listed registry-keys. After that it says it can´t connect to SQL-database and it ain´t working anymore.
    Reverted to the snapshot now.
    Any help appreciated : )

• Edited by GoProo Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:54 PM

Answers

• I came here looking for advice on this as well, but I think I can help you here.

If you look, there are a few things that are probably missing from your configuration that were possibly unnecessary to apply hotfixes, but seem to be necessary to apply the full service pack.  For me, I was missing:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\Management Database :

• All Items.  I assumed I didn't need this because the management database is on a different machine.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ManagementService :

• MANAGEMENT_ADMINACCOUNT was blank, but it did have the group sid in a key.  I used powershell to translate the SID to a name so that I was 100% sure that I used the same exact AD group, then I added the name to this key.
    • MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_INSTANCE: I don't need this key because SQL is using the default instance, but it was blank.  You may have to adjust this.
    • MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_SERVER_NAME: Looks like this key changed somewhere.  I have MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_SERVER and it's set as my SQL server name.  Looks like it wants the value under the _NAME key now, so I just copied the SQL server from the "old" value to this new one.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ReportingDatabase:

• All items were missing.  Again, I'm assuming this is fine because I'm using the default instance on a remote machine and all default values seem fine to me.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ReportingService:

• REPORTING_DB_SQL_INSTANCE: was blank for me, but I have no instance so you might want to check this and add it if necessary.

• REPORTING_DB_SQL_SERVER_NAME: As above, it appears that the value was previously defined in REPORT_DB_SQL_SERVER and now _NAME has been appended.  I copied the SQL Server name to this value.

Hope that helps.

I'm stuck at a point where it's telling me that "The database components must be updated to be compatible with the upgraded server.  Functionality will be limited until this is completed.  Do you want to proceed with the upgrade? [YES] [NO]".  I'm trying to figure out what this means -- will it bring down my database and no App-V 5 apps will work?  or is it just saying my App-V Server won't be available...  let me know if you get past this part! :)

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I confirmed with Microsoft:

During the update, the documentation requests that you review the four keys I listed above.  If you have SQL on a remote server, you will not have the following keys:

• ReportingDatabase
    • Management Database

If you are upgrading, be very careful and watch the values that the installer is putting in for the database server, instance, and db name.  These could be blank, which could cause your problem as described above.  Use my previous message and confirm the _Name values have been added to the correct values.

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:57 PM

All replies

• I came here looking for advice on this as well, but I think I can help you here.

If you look, there are a few things that are probably missing from your configuration that were possibly unnecessary to apply hotfixes, but seem to be necessary to apply the full service pack.  For me, I was missing:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\Management Database :

• All Items.  I assumed I didn't need this because the management database is on a different machine.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ManagementService :

• MANAGEMENT_ADMINACCOUNT was blank, but it did have the group sid in a key.  I used powershell to translate the SID to a name so that I was 100% sure that I used the same exact AD group, then I added the name to this key.
    • MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_INSTANCE: I don't need this key because SQL is using the default instance, but it was blank.  You may have to adjust this.
    • MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_SERVER_NAME: Looks like this key changed somewhere.  I have MANAGEMENT_DB_SQL_SERVER and it's set as my SQL server name.  Looks like it wants the value under the _NAME key now, so I just copied the SQL server from the "old" value to this new one.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ReportingDatabase:

• All items were missing.  Again, I'm assuming this is fine because I'm using the default instance on a remote machine and all default values seem fine to me.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Server\ReportingService:

• REPORTING_DB_SQL_INSTANCE: was blank for me, but I have no instance so you might want to check this and add it if necessary.

• REPORTING_DB_SQL_SERVER_NAME: As above, it appears that the value was previously defined in REPORT_DB_SQL_SERVER and now _NAME has been appended.  I copied the SQL Server name to this value.

Hope that helps.

I'm stuck at a point where it's telling me that "The database components must be updated to be compatible with the upgraded server.  Functionality will be limited until this is completed.  Do you want to proceed with the upgrade? [YES] [NO]".  I'm trying to figure out what this means -- will it bring down my database and no App-V 5 apps will work?  or is it just saying my App-V Server won't be available...  let me know if you get past this part! :)

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I confirmed with Microsoft:

During the update, the documentation requests that you review the four keys I listed above.  If you have SQL on a remote server, you will not have the following keys:

• ReportingDatabase
    • Management Database

If you are upgrading, be very careful and watch the values that the installer is putting in for the database server, instance, and db name.  These could be blank, which could cause your problem as described above.  Use my previous message and confirm the _Name values have been added to the correct values.

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Dear Joe,

thank you very much.
    I´m going to try that and will give you feedback as soon as I´ve done it.

Cheers

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 8:40 AM