Windows 10 v1809/v1903 USB installations RRS feed

• Question

• Until version 1809 I had been using the option to run MDT-created USB thumbdrives for the installation of Windows 10 at remote branch locations for business clients and to ave time when installing/upgrading homeusers. Now with the .wim files >4GB, I am at a loss as to how I can continue using the USB thumbdrive option.  Newer PCs and laptops sometimes recognize NTFS on a stick with GPT, but there are still those holdouts that actually demand FAT32 with GPT in order to install Windows 10. I have creatied non-MDT Solution Accelerator USB Thumbdrives by creating two partitions on said thumbdrive; the active partition contains the boot files and it is formatted for FAT32 (and GPT) while the other partition is formatted as NTFS and contains the source files from the Windows 10 installation media.  I would like to know if there's something analagous that can be used for the installation .iso generated by MDT.  I am about to attempt to do the same, placing the EFI and Boot folder as well as autorun.inf, bootmgr and bootmgr.efi in an active partition formatted as FAT32 under GPT while placing the deployment folder in the other partition formatted as NTFS.  Does anyone know if this will work?  I have my doubts but have to try.  Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue?  Thank you in advance!
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:37 PM

Answers

•  Navigate to DS share>Control folder and check the Settings.xml file.  In the Settings.xml find <SkipWimSplit>True</SkipWimSplit> and change it to <SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit>.

Generate the ISO and perform the deployment with Fat32 Partition.

• Marked as answer by Romeo Void Friday, May 31, 2019 10:21 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:46 AM

All replies

•  Navigate to DS share>Control folder and check the Settings.xml file.  In the Settings.xml find <SkipWimSplit>True</SkipWimSplit> and change it to <SkipWimSplit>False</SkipWimSplit>.

Generate the ISO and perform the deployment with Fat32 Partition.

• Marked as answer by Romeo Void Friday, May 31, 2019 10:21 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:46 AM
  • You could also use Rufus. https://rufus.ie/

The only downside is you temporarily need to turn off secure boot in order to boot to a flash drive with rufus. I've tried it, it works great.

Daniel Vega

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Jitesh, thanks.  Will attempt after installing the ADK for Windows 10 version 1903 and let you know if it worked. I have this strange feeling that this has been mentioned in the documentation for several iterations prior to the current version of MDT. If you have a minute confirm this for me so I can kick myself (feeling a little masochistic today...).  Again, thanks, Jitesh.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:32 PM
  • Jitesh, just having a slight problem; I get an error from MDT when I attempt to build the media.  Apparantly MDT doesn't like that my "sources" folder is spelled with a lower case "s".  Have changed the folder name so that it reads as "Sources" (As described in the error message).  Hope that's the extent of the problem.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Daniel, as a RUFUS user myself, I am  not a fan of turning off secure boot; that just adds two additional tasks during deployment.  I'd prefer to be able to create my .iso and roll it out with RUFUS. I think I'll write akeo and ask them if they can create a version that can split the .wim files for us.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:59 PM
  • Romeo,

Try to change the directory and attempt to generate the ISO. This could be due to naming or path issue.

Rather then creating multiple partition to handle the deployment, you can go with FAT32 only. Once Image has split successfully.  

Please use latest MDT Build 8456 with ADK version 1903 to ignore further problem. let us update!

Friday, May 31, 2019 3:24 AM
  • Jitesh, THANK YOU!!! RUFUS immediately recognized the generated .iso as an .iso that could be used with FAT32 under GPT.  You're a lifesaver my man!  Thanks again!
    Friday, May 31, 2019 10:21 PM