Automatic Backup of List Template with Data (.STP) on WSS 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are running some sites on WSS 2.0 (I know, old school) and have a particular list on one of the sites which is very high in traffic and has a lot of data going in on a regular basis by about 200 users. We are taking random backups of the list by exporting it as a template with data and restoring when needed. It just becomes rather cumbersome doing this manually each time. I was wondering if there is any way to automate the backup process of a specific list? Have heard of being able to backup the entire site using the stsadm command line tool but we just need to do this for a specific list (.stp extension) and not the entire site. If anyone is able to provide some advise or maybe suggest an alternative would be very much appreciated.   Thanks in advance!

Max

Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi MaxAvion,

Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

After some search, I’m afraid there is not an OOTB solution to do this automatic. Maybe you can do this by designing a workflow.

Hope this could help you.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by MaxAvion Monday, January 10, 2011 4:55 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi MaxAvion,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please check the following two articles, I think these would be helpful and enlightening to you:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-sharepoint-services-help/copying-or-moving-sharepoint-lists-HA001154562.aspx;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc424961(office.12).aspx.

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi Peng Lei,

Thank you very much for taking to reply and providing these links. Both were helpful however were unable to point me to the specific solution that I am looking for. These articles explain how to backup or move a list or list items which is what we are currently doing, manually. I was wondering if there is a way to automate this process? For instance I could specify a list on one of the sites and the backup system would create a backup .stp file for that list every day or every week.

Regards,

Max

• Unmarked as answer by MaxAvion Monday, January 10, 2011 4:55 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Hi MaxAvion,

Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

After some search, I’m afraid there is not an OOTB solution to do this automatic. Maybe you can do this by designing a workflow.

Regards.

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:10 AM
  • Hi Peng Lei,

Thank you very much and no problem, I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Glad to know that I have not gone crazy :)

I have been searching around also and seems there are some suggested solutions to implement this programmatically but have not come across anything to automate the the backup of WSS lists in .stp format otherwise. Guess maybe we can discuss with one of our developers to see if they can come up with a solution or by designing a workflow as you suggested. 

Thanks again,

Max 

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:54 AM