Specify a local account for client push installation RRS feed

• Question

• In the Client Push Configuration Dialog you can specify a list of accounts to try when installing clients.  This usernames in this list have to be in the format Domain\User.  Is there a generic tag that can be used to indicate that the Local Machine Name should be used for the domain?  e.g. if we have a local account called "Administrator" with the password "Password" on a bunch of boxes is there a way to specify this in a generic way rather than having to specify a separate entry for each machine?

e.g localmachine\Administrator Password

rather than

localmachine1\Administrator Password

localmachine2\Administrator Password

anotherlocalmachine\Administrator Password

etc

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:20 PM

Answers

• With SMS 2003, you can use

%machinename%\username format.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838436

I haven't tried this on ConfigMgr.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:06 AM
  •  

OK I just verified this in my lab. In SMS 2003 SP3 using %computername%\smspush (when smspush is a local admin on the box) works. Using this client installation account in a Configuration Manager client push scenario fails though.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:01 PM

All replies

• Did you try '.\administrator'  ?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 6:26 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that it must be an explicit computer name for the client push account to succeed. I don't think there is any logic built-in to that account name entry to support variables and the account is used as it is entered in.

If you're running an SMS 2003 SP3 site, the site server computer account is used as a last resort automatically (changed from SP2 behavior).

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:53 AM
  • With SMS 2003, you can use

%machinename%\username format.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838436

I haven't tried this on ConfigMgr.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Clients that are not members of domain you have your SMS/SCCM server can use local accounts that are local to the clients. For example, if you set up a standard account on each computer for administrative purposes, and all the accounts have the same password, you can define a Client Push Installation account as “%machinename%\smspush” and this account must have administrative permissions on the computers where you will install the SMS client.

Thanks
    Shaminda

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:39 AM
  • When I asked about whether %machinename% still worked in ConfigMgr, I got blank looks and then was told it was not supported, so

it's not documented anywhere. I would be interested to know if it still works or not.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:57 PM
  •  

OK I just verified this in my lab. In SMS 2003 SP3 using %computername%\smspush (when smspush is a local admin on the box) works. Using this client installation account in a Configuration Manager client push scenario fails though.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Thanks one and all.  I'd tried logging on to a box interactively using %computername% without luck so I will give it a go from SCCM and see how I get on.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:06 AM
  • %computername% worked well.  Unfortunately you can only have 1 entry for a given name in the list (i.e. if all machines have an account called Administrator but some have the password as Password1 and others have Password2 I don't seem to be able to enter %computername%\Administrator twice - once for each password) but at least it gets me part way there.

Cheers

Alan

Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:37 AM