none
Change amount of time for administrators to respond RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a registry setting to set the amount of time that the dialog appears when logging off or restarting a computer for version 2.5.  Currently, a 5 second dialog box appears to "save or discard" changes.  I'd like some machines to have a different amount of time such as 0, 10, 20, etc.  I know I can disable it by removing the bubble executable but then the other features of bubble are lost.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:14 PM

Answers

• Is there a registry setting to set the amount of time that the dialog appears when logging off or restarting a computer for version 2.5.  Currently, a 5 second dialog box appears to "save or discard" changes.  I'd like some machines to have a different amount of time such as 0, 10, 20, etc.  I know I can disable it by removing the bubble executable but then the other features of bubble are lost.

This value comes from the user's "HungAppTimeOut" value in the registry.  You can change it here:

[HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "HungAppTimeOut"=dword:65000 // 65 seconds, in milliseconds.

The OS default is 5 seconds.  When SteadyState opens, it goes through all admin users and sets this value to 65 seconds (60 seconds + a 5 second margin).  This time is the amount of time that Windows will wait for applications to close after Windows tells them the system is shutting down / restarting / logging off.  Apps that don't respond in this time will cause Windows to complain that the application is not responding (on Vista, this is the darkened screen with a list of apps on it). 

Anyway, in general if you just open SteadyState it will fix this 5 second problem automatically by setting it to 65 seconds.  If you'd like a different timeout value, you can edit the registry manually (please be careful though and heed the standard advice of backing things up first).  Remember that each time SteadyState's main UI is launched, though, it will reset these timeouts.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the post. Based on my experience, we cannot edit the amount of time of "save your settings" option in Windows SteadyState.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:41 AM

This value comes from the user's "HungAppTimeOut" value in the registry.  You can change it here:

[HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "HungAppTimeOut"=dword:65000 // 65 seconds, in milliseconds.

The OS default is 5 seconds.  When SteadyState opens, it goes through all admin users and sets this value to 65 seconds (60 seconds + a 5 second margin).  This time is the amount of time that Windows will wait for applications to close after Windows tells them the system is shutting down / restarting / logging off.  Apps that don't respond in this time will cause Windows to complain that the application is not responding (on Vista, this is the darkened screen with a list of apps on it). 

Anyway, in general if you just open SteadyState it will fix this 5 second problem automatically by setting it to 65 seconds.  If you'd like a different timeout value, you can edit the registry manually (please be careful though and heed the standard advice of backing things up first).  Remember that each time SteadyState's main UI is launched, though, it will reset these timeouts.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Friday, May 8, 2009 5:50 AM