none
MDT 2013 - Installing Offline Updates via USB Media RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am running into a bit of an issue where for some reason the 'apply Patches' step in my TS is not working. I am wanting to install Windows Updates via my TS using the Apply Patches' step.

Steps I have tried to get it working but have failed;

1. Created a seperate Selection Profile called Win7 Windows Updates and Pointed Apply Patches to this profile in the TS.

2. Moved the 'Apply Patches' step to Preinstall, Postinstall.

3. Injected different updates to see if the updates that i was using where corrupt or incorrect.

4. Created a brand new TS and pointed to the Selection Profile called Win7 Windows Updates.

All the above steps did not work and now I am at a loss on what to try next.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as at the moment, our Updates are just being done by WIndows Updates.  (we do not have a WSUS server in place).

Thanks,

David

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:43 AM

Answers

• I didn't mean that's where it should go, I meant to point out that you need to have a selection profile selected and that it should include the updates you need to install

This is from the MDT help file:

In most instances, the existing Apply Patches task sequence step is sufficient for installing packages to target computers. However, there are instances in which the existing Apply Patches task sequence step may not be sufficient for your requirements or you may need to install a package at a different place in the task sequence.

For example, the packages may need to be installed in a specific order or may have dependencies, such as installing a service pack before installing hotfixes. First, create folders and selection profiles for each grouping of packages that you wanted to install separately. Then, install the groups of packages by creating a new task sequence step for each group based on the Install Updates Offline–type task sequence step.

Tip   You can disable the existing Apply Patches step in the task sequence and add all packages manually using the task sequence controls. The benefit of this approach is that you easily select and insert packages into the task sequence in any order necessary. This simplifies management of a large number of packages.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Jobse Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:07 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:07 PM

All replies

• Does your Selection Profile include Packages and did you Import OS packages into Packages?

You TS would need something like this

Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:23 AM
  •  No, my Install Updates Office step is in 'Postinstall', no in State Restore. I have read on other forums that is should be in Postinstall.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:38 AM
  • I didn't mean that's where it should go, I meant to point out that you need to have a selection profile selected and that it should include the updates you need to install

This is from the MDT help file:

In most instances, the existing Apply Patches task sequence step is sufficient for installing packages to target computers. However, there are instances in which the existing Apply Patches task sequence step may not be sufficient for your requirements or you may need to install a package at a different place in the task sequence.

For example, the packages may need to be installed in a specific order or may have dependencies, such as installing a service pack before installing hotfixes. First, create folders and selection profiles for each grouping of packages that you wanted to install separately. Then, install the groups of packages by creating a new task sequence step for each group based on the Install Updates Offline–type task sequence step.

Tip   You can disable the existing Apply Patches step in the task sequence and add all packages manually using the task sequence controls. The benefit of this approach is that you easily select and insert packages into the task sequence in any order necessary. This simplifies management of a large number of packages.

• Marked as answer by David Jobse Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:07 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:07 PM
  • Sorry Dan_Vega, thought thats what your were pointing out. Anyway, the below is my Win7 package Profile were my Windows 7 Windows updates are;

Below is what my TS look like with it pointing to my package profile; Note that it is in the Preinstall step.

Also, how do you know which Windows Update needs to be install when and after what other Windows Update?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:33 PM
  • That's the hard part, you have to do your research to find out what might be required and in what order or if it was superseded by another update. I'd strongly recommend only using this to install hotfixes or really critical patches because of the sheer amount of updates that come out. That said I install all my patches when I build the reference image using WU and then maintain it with quarterly updates so deployed clients will need few to no patches.

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Dan_Vega is correct. the best way to go about patches that i personally like most is directly injecting them into the base wim file, this not only reduces the deployment time but also a more 'resilient' method to what all i have seen. 

Also, just give windows update a try under state restore just like in plain vanilla task sequence and when it share, please post windowsupdate.log from this machine. Do you see any error in it as such? 

Mayank Sharma Support Engineer at Microsoft working in Enterprise Platform Support.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:01 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply, found the issue, issue was that I had the Apply Patches step in the wrong place and I had put this step in to many times. I have made it so that there is only one Apply Patches step and this step is in the Preinstall group.
    Monday, May 25, 2015 11:46 PM