Help with Vista shutdown (During a restart) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I recently lost my old computer using Vista so i decided to get a brand spanking new one, i am quite Computer savvy and good at general diagnostics  but this on I am stuck on.  Only sometimes (in the 1 month+ or so I've had since this new computer during a restart to make effects to the OS, installing updates or any other thing that needs restarting (only specifically "restart")  Windows will say it is shutting down but never do so. Also noted that the HDD is beeing accessed every 2~3 seconds (light flashes for a moment). Now to get to more of the point of find out WHY this happens i doubt it is windows it's self and am leaning towards the hardware for the reason it is brand new Mobo - for CPU slot 1156 and of course the CPU itself.

How could i find out what is causing this problem/How can i fix it? i think it might just be a bios thing, however there are no major releases, only one i saw was listed as beta and "better overclocking ablity" which im not interesting in trying. 

What should I do further?
    I have tried registry checkers and no major issues there, no Malware or anything, and i really don't know wHat might cause windows to not be able to restart itself. Note: this is not a 100% sure thing, only happens occasionally.

any input is appreciated and welcomed.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi, Can you restart the computer by tapping F8 and go to safe mode with network support. See if the updates install, also check device manager are all the hardware device showing as ok. If not right click and go to internet and get driver. Then try and restart, please let us know how you get on. Slan go foill, Paul  
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Hey, thanks for your response, the updates only happened once, i just posted here after i tried restarting to apply networking changes that didn't seem to apply once i had changed them, i went to restart and it locked up closing down, however upon restart (not in safe mode since this was before my post) the networking options were fine.
    The only other troubles i have ever had since i got this computer was to do with my web cam a month ago, i discovered that something weird with my sound was happening and i couldn't find any solution till i found some1 saying they had my cam and un-installing the drivers fixed the sound issues, and thinking about it, if it effected my sound im sure it could effect something else small like this. 
    That is the only thing i can think of that has ever given me issues and also wasnt reading right in device manager, but  thought i fixed it, maybe it might be it, thats causing this.
    Its a shame i don't know a sure-fire way to cause the problem thus test this theory =\
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:19 PM