adjust shortcut in APPV Manager RRS feed

• Question

• The Shortcut of installed application is set :

Target       " c:\Lotus\Notes8\notes.exe" "=P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\notes.ini"

Start          P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\

How to enter above in app shortcut configuration in AppV manager screen?

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:31 AM

Answers

• I would assume that one of your shortcuts points already to notes.exe, that is the one I would modify.  Guessing a little on what you mean for arguments and what start is, but for example (this is modified from Winzip, didn't change all the fields but you will get the point).

<Shortcut>
      <File>[{Programs}]\notes\notes.lnk</File>
      <Target>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\NOTES.EXE</Target>
      <Icon>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\ApplicationIcons\WinZip 16.0 25.0.97  (Rev. A).ico</Icon>
      <Arguments>=P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\notes.ini</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\</WorkingDirectory>
      <ShowCommand>0</ShowCommand>
      <ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\NOTES.EXE</ApplicationId>
    </Shortcut>
    If that doesn't help you can you post the snippet of your XML and a screenshot of the shortcut properties.

Monday, August 25, 2014 1:20 PM

All replies

• pbob,

Here is an example app showing how arguments would look, however changing the target exe and working DIR cannot be done in the console. 
    Personally I would really recommend just doing the changes in the XML and reimporting.  I find looking at the XML to make more sense then the GUI.

Let me know if that answer the question for you.  Sorry for the delay in getting the screenshot up.

• Edited by agallucci Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:38 PM
  • agalucci,

as a try we made all changes to the original shortcut on Desktop and it works fine.

Than I copied the icon to another machine with the same user logged in (just because he had a data needed in his P drive). The program starts but after providing a password cannot load.

I want to try something else....

Can you propose how xml would like for:

Target       " c:\Lotus\Notes8\notes.exe" "=P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\notes.ini"

Start          P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\

Thanks.

&quot;When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad&quot;. Miles Davis

Friday, August 22, 2014 11:32 AM
  • For the sake of testing something out, you might be quicker just testing these out on the client.

How about you use appvve command to launch a command window into the virtual application and then try out " c:\Lotus\Notes8\notes.exe" "=P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\notes.ini"  ?

Then if it works, open up your application for upgrade and Add any new\extra shortcuts you'd like. Or if you need different shortcuts for different groups...Choose to Save as a New package and provision to whatever Group you like..

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Friday, August 22, 2014 8:36 PM
  • I would assume that one of your shortcuts points already to notes.exe, that is the one I would modify.  Guessing a little on what you mean for arguments and what start is, but for example (this is modified from Winzip, didn't change all the fields but you will get the point).

<Shortcut>
      <File>[{Programs}]\notes\notes.lnk</File>
      <Target>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\NOTES.EXE</Target>
      <Icon>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\ApplicationIcons\WinZip 16.0 25.0.97  (Rev. A).ico</Icon>
      <Arguments>=P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\notes.ini</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>P:\Lotus\Notes8\Data\</WorkingDirectory>
      <ShowCommand>0</ShowCommand>
      <ApplicationId>[{AppVPackageRoot}]\NOTES.EXE</ApplicationId>
    </Shortcut>
    If that doesn't help you can you post the snippet of your XML and a screenshot of the shortcut properties.

Monday, August 25, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Thanks all for advices...

will return to this thing in couple of days... and definitely will report :) you the status.

&quot;When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad&quot;. Miles Davis

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:18 PM