none
Sharepoint 2010 backup failed with 0x800423F4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are taking backup of SharePoint 2010 with DPM 2012 SP1.

The daily recovery points failed of SharePoint with error.

The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError: The writer experienced a non-transient error.  If the backup process is retried, The error is likely to reoccur.  (0x800423F4)

I have restarted “SQL VSS Writer service” on SQL server where the SharePoint databases is hosted.

And sometimes I get Last error: No error , and sometimes get Last error: Non-retryable in 'SqlServerWriter”. When run “vssadmin list writers” on SQL server. But still the backup failed even if all VSS writers are stable on SQL server.

I have check event log on SQL server during the backup failed and get following error Error message: Database 'RollbackSnapshotTempDB{3AEDCB94-0E03-412E-BD48-60C82192CE6B}' cannot be upgraded because it is read-only or has read-only files. Make the database or files writeable, and rerun recovery.”

Its really difficult to find wheather its DPM, SQL or SharePoint error,

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• Edited by p.th Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:18 AM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:09 AM

Answers

• Just saw this thread.

By this time I guess you got things sorted out. For anyone that might see this in the future, the resolution is to apply this hotfix on the SQL server. This issue only happens when SQL is running on Windows 2008.

virtual machines concurrently on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971394/EN-US

Because DPM 2012 activates the autorecovery option of SQLWriter, it needs Read/Write access to the snapshot volume, however because of a VSS bug, Windows exposed the volume as readonly, leading to the error.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi

Do you have adequate disk space on the server? 

Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Yes there is enough space disk space on DPM and SharePoint server.

and , we have 4 to 5 SharePoint databases and this error occurs on random databases every day.

• Edited by p.th Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:48 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I'm seeing the same messages in our SharePoint 2010 development environment. We are using DPM 2012 to back up the SQL 2012 databases, and I see several of these messages each night. I don't understand what is trying to upgrade the RollbackSnapshotTempDB databases.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Just saw this thread.

By this time I guess you got things sorted out. For anyone that might see this in the future, the resolution is to apply this hotfix on the SQL server. This issue only happens when SQL is running on Windows 2008.

virtual machines concurrently on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971394/EN-US

Because DPM 2012 activates the autorecovery option of SQLWriter, it needs Read/Write access to the snapshot volume, however because of a VSS bug, Windows exposed the volume as readonly, leading to the error.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:09 AM