Open items on the taskbar (Explorer windows, in particular) are highlighted and blink at seemingly random times RRS feed

• Question

• This is incredibly annoying, and something I noticed about the new taskbar (superbar) in Windows 7 right from the beginning (private beta). The issue still has yet to be addressed.

Periodically, items on the taskbar turn orange (to indicate application activity that requires user attention) for absolutely no apparent reason.

To elaborate, applications have the ability to send a message to the taskbar that, in essence, says, "Hey, Windows, flash my taskbar icon to indicate to the user that I require attention." Needless to say, this is a very useful feature, and one that has been around for decades. The problem, however, is that certain applications, especially Windows Explorer (I'm not referring to Internet Explorer (AKA "iexplore.exe"); I am referring to the "Windows shell", AKA, "explorer.exe") begin to blink at seemingly random times, when no new activity of any sort has occurred.

I may have four different Explorer windows open, and these are windows that have been open in the taskbar for several hours, yet for some reason, one of them (not all of them) will flash orange and begin blinking. WHY? What event is triggering this behavior? I could see if I had just inserted a removable disk and the AutoPlay dialog had opened; in such an instance, it would make perfect sense to display a new Explorer window in the list of grouped Explorer windows on the taskbar. But that is not the case here.

Has anybody else noticed this behavior? Thanks for any insights.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I will report it to Microsoft Feedback Team to let them know it.

Your regarding is very appreciated, Microsoft products would be better because of the customer just like you.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 8, 2010 7:23 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 5:57 AM