Computer restarts when screen sleeps RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with the my computer, ASUS GL552VW. Problem occurred after my computer was updated to Windows 10 Version 1607. Once the screen turns off the computer restarts. For example, if my power plan is set to turn off the screen after 1 minute of inactivity then after one minute the screen turns off and then the computer restarts. Or if I manually turn off the screen using fn + f7 this will also restart the computer.

I have contacted Microsoft help desk twice to get the problem resolved. The following troubleshooting steps have been taken.

• The power troubleshooter has been run multiple times.
    • I have verified that the most recent display drivers have been installed. I downloaded the most recent versions from Intel and Nvidia and installed them.
    • Restored defaults using window + r then entered "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes"
    • Reinstalled the 1607 update using an ISO disk image directly from Microsoft's website
    • Problem does not occur in safe mode
    • Downloaded and ran the Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

This issue was originally posted in Microsoft Answers, see link below. It was suggested that I post the question on this forum.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-restarts-when-screen-sleeps/703ccbfc-7775-4268-ae58-f8d24d719798

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Update (2017-10-01): I updated to Windows 10 Creator and this issue is resolved.

• Edited by Dacools Monday, October 2, 2017 4:00 PM
    Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:06 PM

Answers

• I updated to Windows 10 Creator and this issue is resolved.
    • Marked as answer by Dacools Monday, October 2, 2017 4:01 PM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:01 PM

All replies

• What happens when it restarts? Does it bluescreen? Check for dumps files to see if it crashed. See BSOD Finding and fixing them (guide by Team ZigZag) and locating the dump files and uploading them if found.

Try How to perform a clean boot in Windows and if the problem does not occur in a clean boot follow the section in that link in finding the cause.

Saturday, October 8, 2016 8:49 PM
  • It does not bluescreen. I'll try a clean boot and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

• Edited by Dacools Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:54 PM
  • This did not resolve the issue. Please see activity here.

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

According to your information, The issue can be caused by several factors since there is no such issue in Safe mode:

Imcompatible hardware driver
    External wireless device

To resolve this issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

Disconnect any wireless devices, such as wireless USB mouse, Bluetooth device manually to check the issue.

We can also follow this step to make a device clean boot to check which one cause your issue:

Device Clean Boot
    =================
    1. Type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.
    2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.
    4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.
    5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Let me know the results after performing my previous suggestions.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:58 AM
  • There are no wireless devices connected to this computer. However, while performing a clean boot the problem did not initially occur. However, after re-enabling the Intel services the problem started occurring in a clean boot mode. It even continued after the Intel services had been disable again. Someone has suggested downgrading the Intel driver (Intel(R) Management Engine Interface) because it was a solution for them to a similar problem. Have you seen this before? 

Thanks again for your help!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:24 AM
  • I searched on the Intel website for the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface for Windows 10, but I was unable to find a driver that was a downgrade. I did; however, find a driver that was an upgrade. Unfortunately, upgrading this driver did not resolve the issue.

The upgrade is version 11.0.6.1193 on the Intel website, but the driver installed on my computer from that install package is 11.0.5.1189. Originally version 11.0.0.1157 was installed on my computer which is part of the 11.0.0.1158 install package on the Intel website.  

Do you know where I could find the earlier versions of this driver?

Thanks!

Saturday, October 29, 2016 7:04 PM
  • I updated to Windows 10 Creator and this issue is resolved.
    • Marked as answer by Dacools Monday, October 2, 2017 4:01 PM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:01 PM