Cluster SQL 2008 R2 over Cluster Hyper 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

Is it recommneded and supported to Deploy Cluster SQL 2008 R2 over Cluster Hyper 2008 R2? (Is there any Microsoft Referance?)

and if its supported, is it possible to share the NIC connected used for iSCSI with Hyper-V Networking to be used for clustered Virtual SQL Server? (Is there any Microsoft Referance?)

Thanks

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    It is not recommended to install other applications on Hyper-V host machine. So it seems that deploy a SQL Server cluster over Hyper-V Failover Cluster is also not recommended.
    I am not a SQL Server professional. However, as far as I know, SQL Server need high disk performance. If you put SQL Server on Hyper-V Failover Cluster nodes, it will affect the performance of the virtual machines running on Hyper-V Failover Cluster nodes.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Well, Thanks, here is my last question instep to close this case.

Please check those Selections from SQL 2008 R2 media, and let me know which one is correct:

SQL-Node-1   Instance 1: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation

SQL-Node-1   Instance 2: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

SQL-Node-2   Instance 3: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

SQL-Node-2   Instance 4: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, March 30, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is not recommended to install other applications on Hyper-V host machine. So it seems that deploy a SQL Server cluster over Hyper-V Failover Cluster is also not recommended.

I am not a SQL Server professional. However, as far as I know, SQL Server need high disk performance. If you put SQL Server on Hyper-V Failover Cluster nodes, it will affect the performance of the virtual machines running on Hyper-V Failover Cluster nodes.

Vincent Hu

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Dears,

Is it recommneded and supported to Deploy Cluster SQL 2008 R2 over Cluster Hyper 2008 R2? (Is there any Microsoft Referance?)

and if its supported, is it possible to share the NIC connected used for iSCSI with Hyper-V Networking to be used for clustered Virtual SQL Server? (Is there any Microsoft Referance?)

Thanks

Do you want to rip Microsoft off with not paying for Windows licenses or what? :) What's the idea behind such a configuration?

-nismo

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Dears,

Thanks

Do you want to rip Microsoft off with not paying for Windows licenses or what? :) What's the idea behind such a configuration?

-nismo

Hahahaha, This is our customer request, and this is the only way he want the job to be done due to hardware avaiaiblilty.

For part of licenses, he will be in charge for SQL licenses ;)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

Vincent Hu

Well, Thanks, here is my last question instep to close this case.

Please check those Selections from SQL 2008 R2 media, and let me know which one is correct:

SQL-Node-1   Instance 1: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation

SQL-Node-1   Instance 2: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

SQL-Node-2   Instance 3: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

SQL-Node-2   Instance 4: New SQL Server failover cluster instalallation or Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, March 30, 2012 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:09 PM