How to answer "No" to confirmation prompt on deletion of a folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I try to write a PS script, which will browse through the folder3 and delete child files and folders, if their CreationTime and LastWriteTime are older, than 1 month:

ls -r -force 'd:\folder1\folder2\folder3' | where {($_.fullname -like '*:\*\*\*\*') -and ($_.creationtime -le (get-date).addmonths(-1)) -and ($_.lastwritetime -le (get-date).addmonths(-1))} | sort -desc fullname | rm -force

How'd I answer "No" to all the confirmations it asks, when the folder is not empty? I only need folder deletion if it's empty.

"-Confirm:$False" or "-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue" statements do not help.

• Edited by dvb15 Thursday, March 28, 2019 7:56 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

If you want to delete the empty folders, you can follow the example below:

Get-ChildItem -Path c:\temp\ -Force -Recurse -Directory | Where-Object {(Get-ChildItem $_.FullName -Force).count -eq 0} | rm -Force 

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

• Marked as answer by dvb15 Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:58 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:01 AM

All replies

• You will have towrite code to accomplisg what you are asking.  There is not CmdLet that can do what you ask.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, March 28, 2019 8:04 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

If you want to delete the empty folders, you can follow the example below:

Get-ChildItem -Path c:\temp\ -Force -Recurse -Directory | Where-Object {(Get-ChildItem $_.FullName -Force).count -eq 0} | rm -Force 

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

• Marked as answer by dvb15 Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:58 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Lee's code will not work as it can leave empty folders after one pass. It must be run recursively until there are no more empty folders.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:21 AM