none
Tape expiration date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have longterm backups in 3 rotations, every day for the last 30 days, every month the last 12 months, and every year the last 10 years.

I would like to be able to tell these tapes apart, so I can move the montly and yearly tapes to the bank.

How to get this list/overview of tape expiration etc?

Thanks

/Martin

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

•  Since you have tape co-location enabled,  DPM can grab a tape to start a backup from any data source from any PG, so I would make all the tape labels the same for each PG that share the same retention goals.  If you have a singe PG that is always on a seperate tape, then simply use a label of "protection_group_name-weekly" so it gets a unique name.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by mbe-dk Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

open the Report Section in the DPM Konsole and run the the first Report "TapeManagement"

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebokk.com/techguyat
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:37 PM
  • The easiest / quickest way is to customize the tape labels when you setup protection or afterwards by modifying the PG.  This is easily accomplished by clicking on the customize button for the recovery goals, then doubl-click the "tape label" to modify it.  Change the label to something meaningful for each recovery goal, then save it.  Do that for all protection groups.  All future backups will use the new customized tape labels.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

open the Report Section in the DPM Konsole and run the the first Report "TapeManagement"

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebokk.com/techguyat
    It seems it will only generate a report for max. 4 weeks.
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:36 PM
  • The easiest / quickest way is to customize the tape labels when you setup protection or afterwards by modifying the PG.  This is easily accomplished by clicking on the customize button for the recovery goals, then doubl-click the "tape label" to modify it.  Change the label to something meaningful for each recovery goal, then save it.  Do that for all protection groups.  All future backups will use the new customized tape labels.

Can you give me an example, as I could only find this feature documented on technet for DPM 2007, with almost no info at all. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee909496.aspx

I have 5 different protection group, and co-location enabled.

Right now DPM randomly select a protection group name and add a number afterwards, like Exchange-00000001.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:39 PM
  •  Since you have tape co-location enabled,  DPM can grab a tape to start a backup from any data source from any PG, so I would make all the tape labels the same for each PG that share the same retention goals.  If you have a singe PG that is always on a seperate tape, then simply use a label of "protection_group_name-weekly" so it gets a unique name.

• Marked as answer by mbe-dk Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:25 PM