none
DPM 2016 does not respect Retention time after migrating from Legacy Storage to MBS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have upgraded virtual DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016.

DPM: 2012 R2 UR13 --> 2016 UR2 --> 2016 UR4
    OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 --> In-place upgrade --> Windows Server 2016 (for enabling MBS / ReFS)

To be able to migrate DPM Legacy Storage Pool usage to MBS, I needed to stop protecting every Protection Group one by one and REATAIN DATA (<-- this is important) and Recreate each PG using same settings (MBS Volumes were prepared before this). This procedure made using MBS possible, since after upgrading, DPM 2016 was of course still using Legacy Storage Pool.

Everything fine until here. But now, after 3 weeks, I have noticed, that DPM does not respect Retention time defined in PGs. What I mean by this? I was migrating Legacy Storage to MBS on October 22 and 23. MBS Volumes are consuming more and more storage and all I was doing for past two weeks was extending storage, until I suspected something weird was and still is going on (by the way, retention time is defined for 7 days only).

So I went on and analyze Recovery Points for PGs, where I figured out that I still have Recovery Points, all the way back to October 22. Only PGs, which I recreated for the 2nd time (where I choose NOT TO RETAIN data), are fine now. But I cannot afford this on few PGs, since I'll loose backups and retention.

What should I do to fix this problem? I should remove Recovery points older than 7 days... yes, of course. But after this, what will happen? I believe it will be still retaining all data until that date I performed manual cleanup.

And the other thing? How to delete old Recovery Points manually. All scripts that exist on Technet forum are for DPM 2012 (R2) and are not working on 2016. And the official article from MS is useless, because it does not work either... PowerShell errors all over. 

This is only one serious issue with DPM 2016 I noticed. I have a lot more to share, but I'll leave that for other day...

Thanks!

Brgds, Damjan Grimsic

Lpd

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:13 AM