Microsoft Print to PDF, troublesome T attribute RRS feed

• Question

• With my new Windows 10 PC, I was glad to see the Microsoft Print to PDF feature, which allows me to capture copies of web pages in Chrome, and of course to generate PDFs from many other applications. But I have been frustrated because Carbonite does not back up these files, and the Carbonite UI does not allow me to select them for back up ... right click, and Carbonite does not appear in the menu. This is because Microsoft gives these files attributes of "AT" rather than "A"; the "T" attribute means temporary. Note that Carbonite does not allow users to specify that temporary files should be backed up, and even if Carbonite did provide such an option, I would not want to use it for obvious reasons.

Microsoft Windows UI does not allow a user to change "AT" to "A".

I cannot find an option in Windows to direct it to assign the "A" attribute rather than "AT" to PDF files generated using Microsoft Print to PDF. I need to be able to have Carbonite back up my files, and there may be other negative consequences from the inappropriate assignment of this "T" attribute by Microsoft software.

Is there a way to overcome this problem caused by the Microsoft software?

Thursday, December 3, 2015 2:24 PM

Answers

• I've been avoiding re-purchasing Adobe Acrobat, and forgot that Acrobat Reader could open and save a PDF. I'm not a happy camper with regard to the "AT" problem, but this only comes up a few times a week so I can live with this as a workaround.

I couldn't figure out the "Feedback" mechanism, so I'll leave the solution of this problem to others.

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi AZRon2,

By default, the Microsoft Print to PDF feature will save the files as "AT" attributes and I am afraid it is not configurable.
    As a work around, we could try to open the saved PDF and save it again. This time the "T" attribute will be removed.

If you want to change this behavior, we could try the built-in "Feedback"(Search it directly) tool to submit this case.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:32 AM
  • I've been avoiding re-purchasing Adobe Acrobat, and forgot that Acrobat Reader could open and save a PDF. I'm not a happy camper with regard to the "AT" problem, but this only comes up a few times a week so I can live with this as a workaround.

I couldn't figure out the "Feedback" mechanism, so I'll leave the solution of this problem to others.

Friday, December 4, 2015 2:10 PM
  • I found something called the "Feedback" app, not part of TechNet but an app provided with Win 10, and have submitted my report of this behavior of Microsoft Print to PDF as a problem, and I included the suggested workaround in case someone else happens to run across my report. The "Feedback" tool looks like a "write-only" mechanism, with no Feedback to the person who posts using it, so I'm not optimistic that anything will be done to correct this serious problem. If I eventually purchase a fresh copy of Adobe Acrobat, I should be able to avoid having to use this ill-mannered Microsoft product.

• Edited by AZRon2 Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:51 PM