Outlook clients show as offline unless closing and opening multiple times RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We were on Exchange 2003 and migrated to Exchange 2010 SP1 (sbs 2003 migrated to sbs 2011). I think we had this problem before migration. Clients run Outlook 2003 but this also happens with Outlook 2010.

Running outlook /rpcdiag sometimes shows text sometimes doesn't. Also, I do not think it is the encryption setting because opening and closing the client resolves the issue with no changes to the client settings.

Could it be that the server is being saturated with connections? We only have 30 users with half acessing via OWA.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since this issue may be caused by many reasons, please help me to collect more information:

Do you mean that every time you open Outlook, you need close and open multiple times to make Outlook connect the Exchange Server?

Does this issue occur on several users or all the users (who is using Outlook)?

Is there any related error on your event log (on Exchange)?

If you suspect that the server is being saturated with connections, you can use Exmon to check the client connection with Exchange Server.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. It is not everytime we open outlook. It happens to two or three different machines, and only about once a fortnight, in the morning, when first opening outlook. At that time, it states that the exchange server is offline (yet I can ping it easily from the same machine that gives this message). I then close and open outlook multiple times in order for it to make a connection.

I have the following errors around the time this happened:

Event viewer/applications and services logs/MSExchange management: Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-User, parameters {Identity=NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM}. twice every half hour and

Event viewer/applications and services logs/MSExchange management: Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-MailboxStatistics, parameters {Identity=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX}. about 5 times in succession at seemingly random times but not as often as above.

No other Exchange related errors that I can see.

When running exmon, how many connections is deemed to be saturated? Is it a software setting or is it dependant on our hardware?

Thank you.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

From your description and log information, this may not issue on your Exchange Server.

I suggest you follow these steps to troubleshoot on the clients:

<1> Create a new Windows account for your problem user.

<2> Use new account login and Recreate Outlook profile, then check whether this issue will occur or not.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:13 AM
  • I haven't tried creating a new windows account but it sill happens after deleting all outlook profiles and trying to create a new profile; it does not resolve the name as it reports the exchange server is offline.

I will get the problem user to log on to a few other computers to see if the issue persists before deleting the windows profile and recreating it as that essentially reaches the same goal, right?

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:14 AM
  • it does not resolve the name as it reports the exchange server is offline.

Do you mean that when you recreate the profile, Outlook cannot resolve the Exchange Server name?

If so, I suggest you add your Exchange Server record to the host file on client, then check for the issue:

The path to the Hosts file in Windows 7 is:

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

Find the hosts file, and add the record for your Exchange Server, then check whether Outlook can resolve the name or not?

Is this issue persists when you try to test on other computers?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Monday, November 21, 2011 8:59 AM
  • it does not resolve the name as it reports the exchange server is offline.

Do you mean that when you recreate the profile, Outlook cannot resolve the Exchange Server name?

If so, I suggest you add your Exchange Server record to the host file on client, then check for the issue:

The path to the Hosts file in Windows 7 is:

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

Find the hosts file, and add the record for your Exchange Server, then check whether Outlook can resolve the name or not?

Is this issue persists when you try to test on other computers?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

I meant that the username does not resolve, not the server name, but I cannot remember if the server name also does not resolve, but I have not been able to respond to this thread because the issue has not happened since. I will respond when it does.

Thank you.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:07 AM
  • OK this is weird. Had the issue with another member of staff. I tried adding a new profile with credentials server.domain.local, username, neither resolves. Added ip address, both items resolve to same credentials as input first time. To make sure that it wasn't simply a saturation issue, i connected with the old profile, no go. I connected with the new profile, and it worked.

Is it a DNS issue? Is it unable to resolve server name? Is the DNS being saturated? When I set up the profile and enter the ip address, it resolves to the server name. When the profile is used, is it connecting directly to the resolved server name or using the initial setting i used (ip address) and the resolved name is only for cosmetic function?

Thank you for your help!

PS, all XP clients.

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Testing_Tester,

Is it a DNS issue? Is it unable to resolve server name? Is the DNS being saturated?

If you can use ip address to find the Exchange Server, but cannot resolve with server.domain.local, this may issue on your DNS.

From your description, I suspect this is network issue, I suggest you check the record on your DNS Server, make sure you can ping sever.domain.local successfully from your clients.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:00 AM
  • This is what's confusing me! I can definitely ping "server"!
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

If you try to configure on another computer in the same environment, will this issue occur?

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:41 PM
  • The IP address is definitely defined in the server under:

Administrative tools>DNS>DNS>Server>Reverse lookup zones

I will check configuring another computer in the same environment the next time it happens.

I have a recurring warning code under Administrative tools>DNS>DNS>Server>Global logs>DNS events. It occurs 4 or 5 times in a row at intervals of between 4 and 7 weeks:

Event ID 4013

"The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.
    "

But this does not occur when the fault being discussed here, do you think that is the problem?

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I think the issue has been resolved. The users that had complained about this issue have not complained for a while after I did the following:

Close outlook, control panel/mail/email accounts/view or change email accounts/change

Under "Microsoft exchange server", instead of putting server.domain.local, replace that with IP address of server.

Although it still resolves to server.domain.local, the users don't get locked out anymore.

Weird.

Monday, January 30, 2012 11:02 AM