none
What type of server should I buy? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a Windows SBS 2003 server.  I am a health care provider with 25 computers.  We have used an application that has been a DOS based program for years.  We are getting ready to convert over to a cloud based practice management system.  We will still need to run our DOS based program for at least two years.  The DOS program runs on a 32bit not a 64 bit.  We have 8 computers running XP.  So I have asked my local IT guy of 20 years what he thinks we should go to next.  I also got a quote from a different IT company.  Of course they are recommending two different things I do not know what I should do.

My local guy wants to install 8 new computers with windows 8 (which my boss does not want) and all my other13 computers have Windows 7 Professional. Then he wants to install for my server SBS 2011 Standard for emailing we would use Exchange 2010.  The SBS 2003 server is an exchange server but he never set up the email portion.

This other IT company wants to install windows server 2012 standard edition R2and he would install Vmware esx 5.5 virtual server platform so that I can have 1 computer in my office that  would run an Opto 32 bit server and then use a different "server" to run my new practice management system which is a cloud based system. Plus file share anything else I want to setup.  Then he wants to install Windows 7 pro on the new 8 workstaions that we need.

The quotes are about the same but I feel that I am getting more for my money with the new guy and the ability to grow. As well as maybe better security and reliability. HIPAA wants your system to have bitlocker disk encryption software.  Not sure which system has that.

Please advise I know very little about computers so when my IT guy talks he wants to talk me out of the virtual platform and I think it is because he doesn't have that much experience with the set up.   Virtual server is not a hosted virtual server.  It is just the platform

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:01 AM