Windows Media Centre not Playing AVCHD files! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Acer Revo R3610 with Windows 7 running. There is an NVIDIA ION graphics driver and NVIDIA High Definitio Audio Driver. Its all hooked up to my Panasonic TV.

I have been able to play AVCDH videos without an issue until recently when I updated all drivers and now they wont play (video or sound) in WMC. I have tried rolling back drivers and rolling back the whole computer to befor when I updated but to no avail.

Basically I just get (windows media centre cannot open this file). If I run them in WMP then I get an error code which suggests I need to update the sound drivers (which I have done)

Interestingly if I change my default sound card to the Realtec one then the video will play but no sound. But with the NVIDIA I get neither.

I updated the drivers from the NVIDIA website.

I am pulling what little hair I have out so any advice would be great

Thanks

Craig
    Friday, December 17, 2010 1:30 PM

Answers

• Do you have a special codec installed for playing back AVCDH? If so, this isn't necessary (Windows 7 supports AVCDH out of the box), so please uninstall it.

Also, if you have any codec packs installed, uninstall these as well. Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 20, 2010 9:26 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• Do you have a special codec installed for playing back AVCDH? If so, this isn't necessary (Windows 7 supports AVCDH out of the box), so please uninstall it.

Also, if you have any codec packs installed, uninstall these as well. Does that help?

Tim De Baets
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 20, 2010 9:26 AM
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for this. I have uninstalled th one codec pack (windows 7 codec pack) that I had installed but still no luck!

Strangely I have also noticed that if I leave the computer for some time and then try playing a video it can sometimes work once then straight away if I try another one it will come up eith the error and continue erroring for all subsequent plays!!!

This is bizarre and as I said it always worked fine to begin with!

Thanks for any more advice

Craig

Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Does this only affect AVCHD videos? All other videos still play fine?

What's the exact text of the error message in WMP? If you click Web help , what's the full URL of the web page it takes you to?

Are other players, like Winamp and VLC, able to play these videos?

Tim De Baets
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:18 PM
  • FWIW, I have the same config (Acer Revo R3610/win7) and ran into the exact same problem after installing the optional Nvidia updates via Windows Update. Fortunately rolling back those updates using System Restore seems to have fixed the problem for me.
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:53 PM