none
HP Catalyst (StoreOnce) with DPM 2012 R2 - Is It Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased, for whatever reason, the HP StoreOnce platform for both our primary and secondary data centers and after struggling with HP, have decided to try to use it with DPM instead of HP Data Protector software.

While HP has a nice whitepaper on how it is possible to use the two together, it appears as through the only documented method is to present VTL storage through FC to a DPM server or VM. 

We would like to just present FC storage to DPM from StoreOnce and let DPM do its thing to the volumes and backup our systems - similar to what you can do with Catalyst-approved backup platforms like Symantec and Veeam.

Has anyone been able to make this work, in a supported manner, or am I stuck with short-term backups to another SAN and the VTL option for a long-term target.

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, October 1, 2015 12:50 PM

All replies

• Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Pretty late answer but I hope it helps someone.

I use DPM 2012 R2 with a StoreOnce 4700. The 4700 replicates to a 4500 sitting in our DR site. Overall, it works but is not an ideal solution.

Problem: It takes forever for the DPM > StoreOnce backups to complete :-(

Why? Because DPM will send only full backups to the StoreOnce VTL.

Well, DPM will use ONLY local, DAS or FC/iSCSI connected block level storage for its primary storage (replicas). DPM does use StoreOnce but only in its VTL mode. All is well until you realize what happens when DPM sends to a tape/VTL, it only sends full backups, no incrementals are sent to tape/VTL (using incremental from a traditional backup terminology).

Here is a practical example:

I backup huge VMs, many of those are above 1.5 TB.

For one server (example), nightly replica takes 15 minutes; data change around 4 GB.

Next day the backup to VTL (StoreOnce) kicks in and guess what? It takes 7-8 hours! Why? Because DPM is now sending 1.5 TB to the StoreOnce (Full backup)

DPM sends the same full backup to StoreOnce each and every day!

Ideally: StoreOnce should have be able to present block level storage over FC or iSCSI. Only THEN will DPM send incrementals to it.

Funny, I retired a really old Overland NEO9000 backup appliance and got this REALLY expensive StoreOnce. That super old, obsolete appliance could do BOTH VTL and block level storage.

PS: Sure, the StoreOnce's deduplication capabilities make that daily 1.5 TB ingest into much, much smaller chunks.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Thank you Rajeev,

Could you please advise how you present/connect HP StoreOnce with DPM 2012 R2.

As you know HP documentation is incomplete.

I have DPM 2012 R2 deployed in a VM.

I am using HP StoreOnce 4500 Backup. We did a wrong decision by choosing HP StoreOnce for DPM, but we have it in our environment.

Thanks,

-Charbel

Friday, March 11, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Charbel,

first of all, I would not say that your decision was wrong. I think StoreOnce works well for what HP designed it for.

As for presenting the storeonce to DPM....it is very straightforward. I hope you have used a physical tape library with your DPM in the past, right? If yes, it is the same thing.

1. Make a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) inside the StoreOnce.
    2. Then connect the VTL (modify your Fiber channel fabric. I have FC but I think it is doable via iSCSI also) to your DPM server.
    3. Do a DPM rescan or reboot the server and then do a DPM rescan.
    4. DPM will see the new VTL and be able to use it for tape backups.

Thats about it.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Friday, March 11, 2016 5:36 PM