none
License server at sister company in Sweden uses simple DNS, what would be the best way to access their servers simple DNS name here in the US? RRS feed

• Question

• So we are trying to reach a license server in Sweden from the US.  We have a tunnel set up between us, but when running the software it is trying to find a server called SRV-02 (example) not the FQDN/IP address.  What would be the best route in our DNS to be able to forward requests to SRV-02 and include the full domain name?  Any ideas are greatly appreciated, and if this was already asked, my apologies!

Josh Fuller it@dmkinc.com skype: josh.fullerdmk

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>What would be the best route in our DNS to be able to forward requests to SRV-02 and include the full domain name?

Do you mean that you want to get the FQND/IP of SRV-02 by DNS? If I misunderstand, please let me know.

You can set up a DNS forwarder and the forwarder IP is the DNS server where SRV-02 host is located.

You can refer the following link about how to set up a forwarder:

https://kb.k12usa.com/knowledgebase/setting-up-dns-forwarders-in-windows

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:32 AM
  • hmm.. I tried that in that linked article, and for some reason it still cannot see their server on our end.. here is exactly what Solidworks came back and told me:

Unfortunately, PDM is not designed to work with fully qualified DNS or IP address, but just with the simple DNS name. The reason that you are still getting error messages with the simple DNS name is due to things on the server end, not on the client end. At this point, there are two solutions:

1. Your sister company would need to reconfigure their entire server side to operate with FQDN or IP address along with all of their existing clients

2. You will need to make it so you can access their servers with just the simple DNS name.

I don't think I can convince them to reconfigure their entire server side, so I would love to be able to get option 2 to work if at all possible.

Josh Fuller it@dmkinc.com skype: josh.fullerdmk

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

>>2. You will need to make it so you can access their servers with just the simple DNS name.

Do you mean that you want to access these servers with DNS name only?

If I misunderstand, please let me know.

Have a nice day!

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 7:09 AM