Code 39 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I bought a Gateway computer a few months ago, and everything has been fine until recently. You see, today I uninstalled Norton 360 that came with the computer and since my computer hasn't really recognized my iPod. See, I go to device manager, and double click on "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" Under "USB controllers" Under device status it says"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available." And slicking on check solutions does nothing. I'm pretty technical, but not this much, so I don't quite know what to do. So, I don't know quite know what to do.

I also bought a gateway laptop and uninstalled Norton 360 from day 1 and I've had no problems with my iTunes. My Mother suggested that Norton and itunes shared a driver, but I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes so.. Yeah, any help?

By the way, I've plugged it into three USB ports, two on the front, one on the back... So, yeah... Help? Big Smile?
    Monday, September 15, 2008 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hello,

First please temporarily remove iTunes from the computer through Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall iPod device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your iPod device.

Meanwhile, please involve iPod Manufacturer for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can get more focused support on the forums where that device is supported.

iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home:
    http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer or Helpful button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 15, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Hello,

First please temporarily remove iTunes from the computer through Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

Modify the Registry

1) Click the Start Button, type regedit in the Start Search box and then press Enter.

2) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3) Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4) Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5) Please repeat the above steps to delete Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for the following entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{25DBCE51-6C8F-4A72-8A6D-B54C2B4FC835}

6) Restart the computer

Remove and reinstall iPod device

1) Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers

3) Right click the apple device, and click Uninstall.

4) Then, please restart the computer. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

5) When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your iPod device.

Meanwhile, please involve iPod Manufacturer for the further support of their product as well.

Hope it works!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:42 AM