Media Streaming in RTM (From Technet) Essentials 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

First time posting a question here.

I've downloaded Essentials 2012 R2 from TechNet and installed it - however, I cant see the option on the dashboard to enable the Media Server?

Is this a feature that's been removed or have I missed something somewhere?

The Media server works off the same hardware when running Essentials 2012, but following upgrading to R2 RTM (from TechNet) I just don't see the option to turn streaming on.

Any help or assistance would be much appreciated

Thanks

Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• It does appear that they have removed the media features from Server 2012 r2 Essentials.

some on these forums believe it may be available again sometime after General Availality

• Marked as answer by Andy QiModerator Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Shnerif Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:53 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 2:10 AM
  • Thanks

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.  Would be nice to have them say something in the "Whats new in R2" blogs/papers etc.

(Unless I missed it - possible)

Friday, September 13, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

i need it ! So please Microsoft deliver us the Media Services!

Thanks

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:37 PM
  • It will be back as an add in after official GA in October. 

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:23 PM
  • This would be OK for me, thank you for this Information
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Well, just installed the GA updates to the RTM version and I still don't see the media streaming options like in essentials 2012 (ie non R2 version)? Am I doing something wrong?
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:53 PM
  • It's an add in.  Supposed to be here after GA.

(doesn't anyone read my answers?)

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Susan, Server 2012 r2 Essentials is now in GA. Do you know of the link to download this add-on.  I have not been able to find it on Microsoft PinPoint
    Friday, October 18, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Thanks Susan - I read your posting and have waited (patiently) till GA.  GA was yesterday.

I installed the updates that came out yesterday and looked on pinpoint and in the list of add ins and I could not find the add in.  If i am not looking in the right place, can you (or anyone) please point me in the right direction.

If you have a link or know of where to go to find it - can you please post the link or at least let me know?  If there is something else i need to do, please let me know so I can install this and make my customer happy.  If Microsoft does not intend to include this functionality, I would appreciate some communication saying such.  It was there and from what I can see, its now gone. 

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:59 PM
  • I completely agree ! A major part of the web functionality was removed and I haven't found any official communication from Microsoft.

Forum posts from the community is not what I consider "official".

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:07 PM
  • I have been requesting that someone from Microsoft post, and I just asked again.  They said it's in the queue to be posted up to the download site.  As soon as I spot it I'll let you know but until then folks... this is about as official as you are going to get.

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi folks,

Yes, Media Streaming *will* be made available as a separate download very shortly.  It's in process and once we have the direct download link we will post in the forum.

Sorry for the confusion!

Jason Anderson

GPM - Windows Server Essentials Team

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

I have waited a very short amount of time but it's still not available. I'll wait for another very short time before checking again.

• Edited by JonasOlsson Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:23 AM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Thank you for this information. I an really looking for the media functions. Can you tell me why it is not included in the usual build?

And thank you for submitting the link here, so we not, have to look in the other places.

Bye

Andreas

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi Jason

Any idea when this will happen?  Its almost a week since GA and Im not the only person looking for this.

Do we need to wait another week, fortnight, month?

If this has been issued, where can we find it? I've been hitting every part of the forums here I can think of but cannot see a link.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:36 PM
  • Download Windows Server Essentials Media Pack from Official Microsoft Download Center:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40837&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

Finally.  There it is.

Don't Retire TechNet

• Proposed as answer by Susan BradleyMVP Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shnerif Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:21 PM
  • Thank you very much Susan, I have finished install the pack and running well.

Could you help us to focus on Windows Phone app to access R2 Essentials Server,and tell us the solution?

Thanks again

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:09 AM
  • All I can do is ask and forward your question, which I just did.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Thanks so much, Susan - really appreciate the help.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:13 PM