none
Tapes not expiring in time for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have our virtual servers set to backup to tape once a week (short-term backup), to virtual tapes (200 of them), and it's set to do a copy from the virtual tapes to physical tape once a month. The problem I'm having is that the weekly backups can't complete because the virtual tapes are not expiring soon enough. In the properties of the Protection Group the shortest interval for retention range on the short-term setup is in weeks so the lowest option is "1" week. If my short-term backups start every Wednesday at 7pm how can I free up enough tapes before then?

We're running DPM 2012.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi

See issue #9 in the following UR update KB.

Description of Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

Issue 9

Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1 under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:49 PM