Windows 7 pro Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I have Windows Vista Home Premium. May i purchase "Windows 7 pro Upgrade" from here http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade/product/8BB1A4B4? Or i can only upgrade from something like XP professional or Vista Ultimate?
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:14 AM

Answers

• Hello! I have Windows Vista Home Premium. May i purchase "Windows 7 pro Upgrade" from here http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade/product/8BB1A4B4? Or i can only upgrade from something like XP professional or Vista Ultimate?

Here's another version:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/windows_7_upgrade_chart.png

You may purchase the Win7 Pro upgrade version, and use it.

However, it won't permit an upgrade-in-place, which preserves applications and settings. Your only option would be a "custom" (essentially clean) install.

I haven't seen an official statement of the requirements for installing Win7 on a blank hard drive using an upgrade license. It's not the use that Microsoft intends for an upgrade license, but end users may need to do it (dead hard drive, hardware upgrade, etc.).

The retail Vista upgrade had to be run from a working, qualifying OS. (It was more complex than that, as a 32 bit OS could be used to qualify the use of an X64 upgrade license, but the 64 bit installer couldn't be launched from a 32 bit OS.)  Some have written that Win7 will require that qualifying OS to be *activated*. (On the other hand, some versions of Windows 2000 are supposed to qualify, but Win2k doesn't use activation.)

If you can bear a long installation process, then you may be willing to live with an upgrade license. The convenience of the full license may be worth the extra $100US.
    • Edited by bobkn Friday, September 4, 2009 2:46 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, September 4, 2009 11:46 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I strongly recommend you to read this official document: "Windows 7 Upgrade Paths".

Regards.
    If it was helpful, please vote! · · ¡Si te ayudó, por favor vota!
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Does it mean that in my situation i can only buy "Windows 7 Professional Full"? I mean that i have "Windows Vista Home Premium" which i had never used and i want to make a pure "Windows 7 pro" installation on a new pure hard disk.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:51 AM
  • Hello,

in accordance with that document, it looks like your thoughts are right. Sorry.

Regards.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:00 PM

Here's another version:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/windows_7_upgrade_chart.png

You may purchase the Win7 Pro upgrade version, and use it.

However, it won't permit an upgrade-in-place, which preserves applications and settings. Your only option would be a "custom" (essentially clean) install.

I haven't seen an official statement of the requirements for installing Win7 on a blank hard drive using an upgrade license. It's not the use that Microsoft intends for an upgrade license, but end users may need to do it (dead hard drive, hardware upgrade, etc.).

The retail Vista upgrade had to be run from a working, qualifying OS. (It was more complex than that, as a 32 bit OS could be used to qualify the use of an X64 upgrade license, but the 64 bit installer couldn't be launched from a 32 bit OS.)  Some have written that Win7 will require that qualifying OS to be *activated*. (On the other hand, some versions of Windows 2000 are supposed to qualify, but Win2k doesn't use activation.)

If you can bear a long installation process, then you may be willing to live with an upgrade license. The convenience of the full license may be worth the extra $100US.
    • Edited by bobkn Friday, September 4, 2009 2:46 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, September 4, 2009 11:46 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Hello bobkn,

I may be wrong, but I think the versions sold for the "Custom Install" are the "Full Versions" Microsoft refers in its document.

You can't do a custom install with an upgrade version.

Again, I may be wrong, but those are my thoughts.

Regards.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Hola Reckon,

I think you're wrong. You can't do an in-place upgrade with an upgrade version that doesn't fit, that's a technical barrier. But using an upgrade version to do a clean install - whatever the prior version is, it must be only "qualifying" - is a question of license, nothing more. I'm not even sure that the "upgrade" and "full" versions really are different, besides the licensing part of course. (Proof is, f.e., that you can do "Windows Anytime Upgrades" from upgrade versions - that implies that the bits are already present.)
    Another question is how this upgrade would work. Clear is that you lose the license for your previous system if you install an upgrade, so keeping Vista on one drive and install Windows 7 on another seems impossible. So far, I'm inclined to believe you must do a clean install on the drive/partition where Vista resides and delete your Vista system during that process. But again: Doing this is not restricted to those with a full Windows 7 version.

Saludos, sin embargo.

Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Hey,

good spanish buddy! And yes, you are right. I was wrong, as I misunderstood some upgrade paths.

Sorry.

Saludos. (remove sin embargo)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Removed. Saludos, sin sin.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:11 PM
  • So, if I get this right....in my case, where I'm currently running Vista Ultimate, I will indeed be able to use the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade DVD I pre-ordered from Amazon, but only if I do a custom clean install?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 11:17 PM
  • So, if I get this right....in my case, where I'm currently running Vista Ultimate, I will indeed be able to use the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade DVD I pre-ordered from Amazon, but only if I do a custom clean install?

I don't think that is accurate.
    You should be able to upgrade VISTA ULT to 7 ULT.

Anyone not running VISTA can buy the upgrade (i.e. get it a smidge cheaper) but will have to start from square 1... (as I posted in my thread "Upgrade? ... not so much"...)

Good luck to you.
    I'm stuck on XP 64 until I see some of the major issues with win7 worked out, including the lack of customization and control for folders (ala XP), the lack of a CLASSIC VIEW for control panel, and stuff like that... SORRY -- if I want to learn a completely NEW OS, I'll buy a mac.

FYI - got my first MCSE on NT and NT4.0...yeah, I've been using this stuff for a LONG time...
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Okay...thanks for the reply.  Yes, I realize I could do an "update" from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, but as I mentioned, I pre-ordered the Windows 6 PRO update DVD, not the Ultimate.

So I still assume (hopefully correctly), that I'll be able to use the Pro update DVD, but only by doing a clean install.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Hey - How did it turn out for you? Could you upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Pro?
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Hey - How did it turn out for you? Could you upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Pro?
    There apparently is work afoot on this. Theoretically, you should be able to use the downgrade method to coax the Windows 7 installer to in-place upgrade any version of Vista. Unfortunately, a procedure has not yet been released. (to my knowledge)

I'm trying to get a VM up and running to test this scenario, but for some reason, VMware Server 2 isn't able to detect my DVD drive. I'm creating an ISO, so I hope to have a Vista install to test downgrade scenarios on.

If all goes well, we may finally put an end to this upgrade bull with some workaround procedures.

In theory, you could even in-place upgrade XP by going through Vista, but that is an awful lot of work for a dubious payback.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:12 AM

I had a 2nd partition on my main drive, so I simply did the installation onto that, and created a dual boot setup.  I figured that in case anything went wrong, I'd still have the Vista installation running to fall back on.

Installation was no problem at all.  The only thing I'm having some problems with is the HP setup for my printer.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:21 PM