none
which type of resource for car rental? RRS feed

• Question

• HI, I am a project 2010 newbie and I am a bit confused.

I have a task (clients' assistance: a man drives to different places to offer assistance to clients) and 2 resources  assigned to it: one is the man (work resource, payed according to the hours of work he does) and the other one is the car rental. The car rental costs $100,00 a day, no matter how many Kilometers/hours the man drives. The man does not always work 8h/day: some day 2h, some day 4h,...

Which type of resource should I use?

If I choose a work resource and I specify $100/d, the day the man drives only 1h the cost would be only $10 and not the entire $100. If I specify only the Cost/Use, the $100 would only cover the 1st day of the task, since there would be only 1 assignment.

If I choose a materials resource, I could write "days" in the Material field and specify the number of days the man lends the car, but this number could vary according to the scheduling.

Idem if I choose a cost resource: I always have to manually write the number of days.

So, is there a way to tell Project I want a "$100/solar day" work resource?

Thank you in advance,

Nino

Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Always test to see what happens, never assume.

It is a work resource you need

Assign both resources to the task 100%

Now in Task Usage change the work for the driver to a different  number of hours for some of the days..

The work (hence the cost) of the rental DOES NOT CHANGE as you think!

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by NinoLimoni Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:16 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• Nino, as you discovered, there is not concise way of having the car resource assignment being automatically an exact number of days. It seems that you would want the man assignment and the car assignment to be against different tasks. If the man as two short tasks within a day, presumably there is still only one car task covering that day.

Make the car a work resource with a rate of $100/day assigned to a "Transport" task. The "Transport" task will be Start to Start with the "Client Assistance" task but will always have a whole number of days' duration.

Graham

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi, thank you for your quick reply. Ho can I force the "Transport" task to have a whole number of days' duration?

In my example, a man drives to a certain number of clients to solve their IT problems. That man has a calendar with "holes": on monday 2h in the morning, on Tuesday 3h in the afternoon, Wednesday he cannot offer any support because he is busy with something else, on thursday he can drive all day,... So the man would rent a car only the days he needs it.

So the "Assistance" task (say 20h long) would span over more and more days. If I create a "Transport" task (with the car rental resource assigned) I can make it start the same time than the "Assistance" one (SS rule) but

1) how can I stop it the same moment the other one stops? It seems to me that I cannot create 2 dependencies (SS and FF) on the same task.

2) if the last day the man works only 1h, how can I force the "Transport" task to be 1d long (and not 1h)?

3) if the man does not work on the "Assistance" task on Wednesday, how can I tell the "Transport" task to skip that day? I cannot make it use the man's calendar, since I would return to a hour-based scheme. Perhaps I shoud make another calendar similar to the man's one with only the non-working-day exceptions...

Thank you again for all the help you would give me...

Regards,

Nino

Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Always test to see what happens, never assume.

It is a work resource you need

Assign both resources to the task 100%

Now in Task Usage change the work for the driver to a different  number of hours for some of the days..

The work (hence the cost) of the rental DOES NOT CHANGE as you think!

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by NinoLimoni Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:16 PM
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Good idea, thank you!

Nino

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:16 PM