none
Error: Failed to find task sequences when booting to VMWare ESXI vm RRS feed

• Question

• This problem has recently arose on my primary site.  After booting into WDS manager and the boot.wim successfully  loading sccm comes up.  After entering the password to login into the task sequence wizard I receive the error (Failed to run task sequence).  I have tried several resolves for the issue. 

1)  I have tried to join the machine to my osd collection via host name and the machine cannot be found.  I have also tried to search for it as an unknown computer and the same thing.  Usually when i put the machine in this collection i am able to view all deployed task sequences within the task sequence wizard.

2) I have built out a test collection called Mac Lookup in which i created a query statement to find unknown machines via mac address. Usually once i enter the Mac addy into the query sccm will find the machine and i will be able to run the available task sequences.  Unfortunately for the past few days this isn't the case.

On the lighter side of things this just seems to be a virtualization issue.  If I boot to a physical machine via efi that i have entered into the osd device collection group all task sequences appear in the wizard.  Any help or would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, July 20, 2018 3:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What does smspxe.log and smsts.log tell when that happens?

Unknown computer support in SCCM can require a different way of thinking and does require some infrastructure changes. By using the All Unknown Computers collection, you can deploy task sequences to machines that SCCM does not manage. Assigning a task sequence and configuring a collection variable allows you to have some control at the machine level. Enabling unknown computer support on the distribution point allows you to image devices that SCCM does not know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 20, 2018 9:01 AM