Find and Replace inherits capitalization of the word you insert from the word that you replace RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

Is there any way to avoid capitalization of prepended word when using Find and Replace in Microsoft Word?

Suppose I have a phrase in different places in the document:

Missing phrase.

Now I want to add 'the' everywhere before the Missing phrase so that it looks as:

the Missing phrase.

However, even if I type 'the Missing phrase' in the Replace with: box in the Find and Replace dialog box, Word capitalizes prepended 'The' so that I get:

The Missing phrase.

How do I stop Word from doing that? If I've specified 'the Missing phrase' in the Replace with edit box, I want the result be exactly as I've specified it.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Friday, January 13, 2017 12:51 PM

Answers

• Solution:

For some reason, the Match case option applies not only to the search keyword but also to the replacement phrase. To avoid capitalization in described case, you have to do the following:

1) Click More >>

2) Select Match case.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Friday, January 13, 2017 2:00 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• Solution:

For some reason, the Match case option applies not only to the search keyword but also to the replacement phrase. To avoid capitalization in described case, you have to do the following:

1) Click More >>

2) Select Match case.

• Marked as answer by Exotic Hadron Friday, January 13, 2017 2:00 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:51 AM