none
Is SBS 2011 support in VMware ? RRS feed

• Question

• I did some searching but didn't find a document from Microsoft stating either way.  We are a small consulting firm and need to follow Microsoft support environments.  Does anyone have a document stating either way please.  Or is SBS 2011 supported in any Virtual environment?

Thanks in advance

Dana

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• Here is the answer from the expert exchange link:

"Microsoft actually has a very sensible approach to understanding virtualizatoin support.

First, they have a list of virtualization platforms that have been certified to offer the performance and services that various MS "guest" products (OS's or applicatons) will need. These are listed under the Microsoft SVVP program website:

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx

Then, each product either supports being virtualized or it doesn't. For example, SBS 2003 does not support being virtualized. Doesn't matter if you use Hyper-V, VMWare, or Virtual Server 2005, MS simply says SBS 2003 is not supported under virtualization.

Other products, such as Lync or SBS 2011 *are* supported virtualized. MS doesn't say "Lync is supported under VMWare and Hyper-V, but SBS 2011 is only supported under Hyper-V." You can see where that would be complicated. All MS says is a product can support virtualization or it can't.

So, as long as you have a product and role that is supported under virtualizatoin, and you are running a certified virtualizatoin platform, you are supported. In your case, SBS 2011 supports being virtualized, and VMWare ESX 4.1 is a certified virtualization platform, hence this is a supported configuration.

Note, however, that just because SBS 2011 is supported, that does not mean that everything you attempt to run *on* SBS will be supported. For example, Exchange's Unified Messaging role is not supported under virtualization. Doesn't matter if you are on SBS, standalone, or some other configuration, if you enable that role while virtualized (Hyper-V, VMWare, doesn't matter), you are now in an unsupported state. So plan carefully."

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• SBS 2011 is supported as a guest with Hyper-V by MS. I'm not sure it is supported as a guest with VMware, but there are certainly people who have installed it successfully.

Steve

<DanaStevenson> wrote in message news:5d82d821-f06d-46bf-96a6-7708fc55adc1@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I did some searching but didn't find a document from Microsoft stating either way. We are a small consulting firm and need to follow Microsoft support environments. Does anyone have a document stating either way please. Or is SBS 2011 supported in any Virtual environment?

Thanks in advance

Dana

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

Read the answer in this thread http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/SBS_Small_Business_Server/Q_26976996.html it describes exactly how microsoft describes support for virtualization for there products.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Thank you for the reply's

I was not able to read the response at Experts Exchange so not sure what it says.  I see these are both saying that SBS 2011 is supported in Hyper V but I really need to find a document if one is available from Microsoft about Hyper V and Vmware.

We are going forward with Vmware but should would like something to show my boss to backup my statements to him.

Thanks Again

Dana

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Here is the answer from the expert exchange link:

"Microsoft actually has a very sensible approach to understanding virtualizatoin support.

First, they have a list of virtualization platforms that have been certified to offer the performance and services that various MS "guest" products (OS's or applicatons) will need. These are listed under the Microsoft SVVP program website:

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx

Then, each product either supports being virtualized or it doesn't. For example, SBS 2003 does not support being virtualized. Doesn't matter if you use Hyper-V, VMWare, or Virtual Server 2005, MS simply says SBS 2003 is not supported under virtualization.

Other products, such as Lync or SBS 2011 *are* supported virtualized. MS doesn't say "Lync is supported under VMWare and Hyper-V, but SBS 2011 is only supported under Hyper-V." You can see where that would be complicated. All MS says is a product can support virtualization or it can't.

So, as long as you have a product and role that is supported under virtualizatoin, and you are running a certified virtualizatoin platform, you are supported. In your case, SBS 2011 supports being virtualized, and VMWare ESX 4.1 is a certified virtualization platform, hence this is a supported configuration.

Note, however, that just because SBS 2011 is supported, that does not mean that everything you attempt to run *on* SBS will be supported. For example, Exchange's Unified Messaging role is not supported under virtualization. Doesn't matter if you are on SBS, standalone, or some other configuration, if you enable that role while virtualized (Hyper-V, VMWare, doesn't matter), you are now in an unsupported state. So plan carefully."

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:35 PM
  • I do need to add to Ronny's great response is that at this stage SBS 2011 does not show in the SVVP site.  This is currently being updated which I expect in July.  As a guide, SBS 2011 Standard follows the same support poilicy as SBS 2008 Standard, and SBS 2011 Essentials follows the same support policy for Windows Server 2008 R2.
    This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:52 AM