none
Restore a Smaller HDD

Question

• Hi All,

I would lyk to restore the windows image backup.. but I can't able to restore the backup. I have take a backup only in C drive that hard disk size is 1TB. But I will try to restore 500 GB HDD.

If I am restore 1TB HDD is no issues. If I am restore 500 GB means it will get error.

I have restored 1TB hard disk.. but the D drive partition also there.. but I have take backup only C drive..

Anyone can tell me. How to backup 1TB hard disk to 500GB hard disk for restore

Thanks & Regards

Anand P

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Anand P,

You mean you want to  restore the backup to a smaller hard drive, right?

Do you use windows server backup to do backup and restore? If so,  when recovering your operating system to a new hard disk and the source disk have partitions and unallocated space at the end of the disk then the new disk size is at least as big as the partitions size.

So you need to shrink the source volume before taking a backup and then use that backup for recovery.

Please also check the thread discussed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0b21a9c8-f216-4d11-9a40-ab7dd99b130b/restore-backup-to-a-smaller-disk

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 01, 2018 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 04, 2018 1:52 AM

• Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 8:18 AM