none
How to apply current user filter for Power BI reports ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I would like to apply current user filter to Power BI reports, so that , on opening the report he/she will be able to see only his/her projects data.

Is applying current user filter possible in Powe BI? if yes , Could anyone please let me know the procedure?

Thanks in Advance....

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:42 PM

Answers

• HI All,

we can restrict the access by creating RLS(Row Level Security) for the data set.

please follow the below URL for more info with clear explanation

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Row-Level-Security-in-Power-BI/ba-p/31031

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Rajkumar,

This has been something I was hoping for as well. But to my knowledge OData is still "all or nothing" based on the user right to view reporting data.

I have not seen any information yet that this is changing.

Kind regards,

Erik

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:09 AM
  • It would be worth re-posting in the Project customisation forum.  Perhaps there is some dynamic way to filter where the owner = the current user.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:05 AM
  • Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply to my query.

I have created couple of excel reports using Odata qurey feed. I have configured these reports to excel webpart and applied current user filter webpart for each report. So when a Manger opens this report it will show only his data. 

In the same way I'm trying for this same functionality in power BI. Beacuse there are couple of reports which has been  created using powerQuery, but this power query excel report will not refresh in excel online. Thats way I would like to implement the same report in Power BI.

is this possible? Please suggest me.

Thank you..

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:00 AM
  • HI All,

we can restrict the access by creating RLS(Row Level Security) for the data set.

please follow the below URL for more info with clear explanation

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Row-Level-Security-in-Power-BI/ba-p/31031

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:50 AM