none
Cannot perform replication on a replica which is missing ID: 31208 RRS feed

• Question

• I have done an upgrade from DPM 2010 to DPM2012SP1 these days and but I can't run consistensy checks or create new recoverypoints on my storage disk. It always told me the recovery point volume is not available.

In the DPM SP1 MMC I opend the Management Tab, removed and readded the disk storage pool. Now it looks like everything is screwed up. It tells me that Recovery Point Volume and Replica Volume should be visible in diskmgmt.msc which is true.

I think the problem is that the volumes are mounted in those old windows folders here:

"c:\Windows.old\ProgramFiles\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\DiffArea"

and

"c:\Windows.old\ProgramFiles\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\"

Is there a chance to get this back "in sync"?

My Upgrade Path:

Start = Server 2008R2 & DPM 2010 Roleup 7

1) installed DPM 2012, created DPM DB Backup

2) installed Server 2012 and DPM 2012, restored DPM DB Backup from step 1) and did the sync

3) installed DPM 2012 Update RoleUp3 and DPM2012 SP1

4) installed Update RoleUp1 for DPM2012SP1

Anywhere in the path I think I lost the connection between the recovery point volumes and my protection group members. All agents are fine and there are no errors in eventvwr.

Thanks in advance,

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

<snip>
    In the DPM SP1 MMC I opend the Management Tab, removed and readded the disk storage pool. Now it looks like everything is screwed up.
    >snip<

This is troubling, you should not have the option (It's greyed out) to remove disks that have valid data sources on them from the DPM Storage pool.

In steps 2) installed Server 2012 and DPM 2012, restored DPM DB Backup from step 1) and did the sync - were the foreign DPM Dynamic disk(s) imported before you ran the DPMSYNC -Sync ?    If not, that may have lead to this issue.  You can try running dpmsync -sync again while the disks are in the storage pool.  If that does not work, you may need to wipe the disks (Make them all free space) then let DPM make new volume by running DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica - that of course starts from scratch, but at least you won't need to remake the PG's. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

<snip>
    In the DPM SP1 MMC I opend the Management Tab, removed and readded the disk storage pool. Now it looks like everything is screwed up.
    >snip<

This is troubling, you should not have the option (It's greyed out) to remove disks that have valid data sources on them from the DPM Storage pool.

In steps 2) installed Server 2012 and DPM 2012, restored DPM DB Backup from step 1) and did the sync - were the foreign DPM Dynamic disk(s) imported before you ran the DPMSYNC -Sync ?    If not, that may have lead to this issue.  You can try running dpmsync -sync again while the disks are in the storage pool.  If that does not work, you may need to wipe the disks (Make them all free space) then let DPM make new volume by running DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica - that of course starts from scratch, but at least you won't need to remake the PG's. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply! You were right - I actually forgot to import the disks before I ran the DPMSYNC. I imported the database backup and thought this is enough. I will start from scratch - I still have the database and some monthly tapes. :)

Thanks again,

Cyntaxx

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:02 PM