Slow printing networked 64 bit win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many many posts about this.  HOWEVER, I print directly to the printers.  Http via Cups.
    I can load my old XP machine as a VM on the windows 7 machine and it prints immediately!  What I have done so far;
    1) Disabled items with netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled (RSS autotuninglevel as well),
    2) Bidirectional
    3) Spooling (prints directly to the printer)
    4) Firewall and anti virus
    5) Print from VM of XP on this machine and prints in 2 seconds
    6) Removed all printers and then Added them back again
    7) Microsoft Fix it (even though I have no errors)
    8) Clean Boot (Still prints slow)
    9) SFC /SCANNOW Verification 100% complete, did not find any integrity violations.
    10) Printers spool folder is empty
    11) Hotfix, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=2526028
    12) Created 2 new user accounts, Copied to be sure no corruption
    The system is slow whether it prints to a digital Ricoh, a Brother laser, an Epson laser or the okidata dot matrix printers.
    Windows 7 professional 64 bit, 16gb ram, 3.4 mhz processor.
    Not on a Domain.  Company runs windows pcs connected to linux server.  Cups printing.  No issues or problems on any other machines.  Most of them are XP virtual machines with immutable drives.
    Would like to solve this before upgrading any other machines. (the staff will not stand this printing delay)
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After doing more research, I noticed that to print from cups printer, we need to connect it via internet browser.

In Windows 7, the Proxy settings will cause this issue.

Please uncheck the "Auto detect settings" under Internet option:

Similar issue, you can refer to this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=242451

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by VFPrules Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you use Network monitor to capture the network traffice when printing from Windows 7 and Windows XP, and then compare the differences:

Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Kate Li

Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:30 PM
  • The issue is NOT a network issue.  See my original posting.  The printer selection takes a long time to come up.  After printing is sent to the printer, it takes a long time for the focus to be returned to the calling program.  Apparently I will have to take the long road of disabling services one at a time until I find the culprit.  And then uninstalling software until I find the cause of the nuisance.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

After doing more research, I noticed that to print from cups printer, we need to connect it via internet browser.

In Windows 7, the Proxy settings will cause this issue.

Please uncheck the "Auto detect settings" under Internet option:

Similar issue, you can refer to this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=242451

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Kate Li

• Marked as answer by VFPrules Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:28 AM
  • FANTASTIC!  Prints in 1 second just like XP did.  Thank You, Thank you...
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:20 PM