Unable to Move Documents Folder to another drive in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows Vista Ultimate(64) with SP2.

I would like to move the documents folder to another drive.
    I have only one user on the computer whiich is an administrator.

I have searched many forums, etc and they all seem to specify the following procedure:
    - Right click on Documents in the start menu
    - Click on properties
    - Click on Location
    - Hit the move button and the enter a new folder location for the new drive

Unfortunately, The only thing I see after I hit the location button is a box with the current location name in it.
    There are no Restore Default, Move, or Find Target buttons as I am expecting to see.

I have the same problem with the picture, music, and videos folders.

So how do I move the folder? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

According to your problem description, this issue occurs when User Account Control is enabled.

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1) Confirm that you logged the Windows Vista computer with the Administrator account and turn UAC off temporally.

2) Click the Windows Pearl (Start Button) in the lower-left corner of the screen-> Control Panel.

3) Select Classic View on the left and double-click the User Accounts icon.

4) Click Turn User Account Control on or off option.

5) Uncheck the User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer and click OK.

6) If prompted, choose restart, otherwise restart from the Start Menu.

After that, test the issue again. If the problem still persists, you might refer to the instructions on the following webpage to see whether it does work on the issue.

Move Button Missing From the Location Tab for Public Folders in Windows Vista

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, June 19, 2009 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to your problem description, this issue occurs when User Account Control is enabled.

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1) Confirm that you logged the Windows Vista computer with the Administrator account and turn UAC off temporally.

2) Click the Windows Pearl (Start Button) in the lower-left corner of the screen-> Control Panel.

3) Select Classic View on the left and double-click the User Accounts icon.

4) Click Turn User Account Control on or off option.

5) Uncheck the User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer and click OK.

6) If prompted, choose restart, otherwise restart from the Start Menu.

After that, test the issue again. If the problem still persists, you might refer to the instructions on the following webpage to see whether it does work on the issue.

Move Button Missing From the Location Tab for Public Folders in Windows Vista

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, June 19, 2009 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Hello Andy,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I always have UAC turned off, so that is not a fix.
    I always run as an administrator. But I tried the other procedure where I terminate the Explorer process then start a new one under admin, then retry the move procedure.
    I still have no buttons. 

As an additional test I created a second admin account. The buttons magically appear for this account. So what does that tell me - there is something wrong with the admin account for which I'm trying to move the documents folder. So anymore ideas out there?

Thanks and regards to all,

Rick
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:10 PM
  • Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. According to what you said, I suppose that there should be something wrong or corrupt with the original administrator account. Now we might add the new-created account to administrator group and then migrate the current data to the new profile. I appreciate your time and understanding!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Rick 777 Monday, June 15, 2009 3:01 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rick 777 Monday, June 15, 2009 3:01 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply, Per my previous reply I know that creating a new admin account works. It would just be painful to move all the data over there. I was just hoping for a better idea as to what may be wrong with the existing admin account. Thanks to all, Rick
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:15 PM