Blocking mode slowing down network RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys!
    I have two Exchange 2010 servers here in DAG. One is located in a datacenter on a Neighbor city and the other is here in my company. The active databases are in the datacenter (There they have a better infrasctructure than here…internet and etc) and the passive databases are at my company.
    We have a VPN which the link is 14MBps and it was enough and we didn´t face problems with that.
    I´m not a Exchange expert so we have a guy to help us, and this guy uptated our Exchange to Service Pack 3 and changed all databases to Block mode ( I don´t know exactly what it is) so after that change our VPN link is always at the top, every time I check it is using all the 14MBPS. So it makes the Outlook connection of our users very slow and I don´t know what to do.
    I think maybe this change make that, but I´m note sure.
    We have 490 mailboxes and around 3TB of databases.
    Could you please someone help me!!
    Thanks in advance!!
    Monday, January 23, 2017 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hey Guys!
    I have two Exchange 2010 servers here in DAG. One is located in a datacenter on a Neighbor city and the other is here in my company. The active databases are in the datacenter (There they have a better infrasctructure than here…internet and etc) and the passive databases are at my company.
    We have a VPN which the link is 14MBps and it was enough and we didn´t face problems with that.
    I´m not a Exchange expert so we have a guy to help us, and this guy uptated our Exchange to Service Pack 3 and changed all databases to Block mode ( I don´t know exactly what it is) so after that change our VPN link is always at the top, every time I check it is using all the 14MBPS. So it makes the Outlook connection of our users very slow and I don´t know what to do.
    I think maybe this change make that, but I´m note sure.
    We have 490 mailboxes and around 3TB of databases.
    Could you please someone help me!!
    Thanks in advance!!

Are you referring to ?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2013/04/24/exchange-2010-database-availability-groups-and-disk-sector-sizes/

Disable block mode replication on all hosts.  This step requires restarting the replication service on each node.  This will temporarily cause all copies to fail on passive nodes when the service is restarted on the active node.  When the service is restarted on the passive node only passive copies on that node will enter a failed state.  Databases that are mounted and client connections are not impacted by this activity.  Block mode replication should remain disabled until all steps have been completed on all DAG members.
    1. Launch registry editor.
    2. Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\Replay\Parameters
    3. Right click in the parameters key and select New –> DWORD
    4. The name for the DWORD is DisableGranularReplication
    5. The value for the DWORD is 1

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:16 PM
  • Block mode shipping is a way that Exchange replicates part of a database log file, before the log file is finished. Before block mode, the data in the log would only get copied off, once the log file was full. This resulted in windows of opportunity for a little bit of data loss.

With block mode, a little bit of data can get written to the log file, and then get shipped off to the passive copies, before the log file is complete. Should the active node go down, the passives will have a higher probability of having all of the data than if the data was copied with file mode.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:40 PM
  • Can you post any event logs or error. do you enable the cache mode in the outlook? if yes try to disable the cache mode and test.
    Monday, January 30, 2017 1:52 AM