My computer doesn't log on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My computer doesn't log on. After start it, the login option shows. I select the user, enter the password, and it shows "Welcome Pedro" (or something like that). After a short period of time the screen turn black and the mouse is shown. But it doesn't go far than that, even if I wait several minutes.

I think it has a virus taht afected the windows system.

I saw a problem very similar to this one in a client. It had the Panda Antivirus. The support team give him a startup disk to boot the computer and run a scan and fix. It was able to restore his computer.

I'm trying to know where can I get a boot disk with forefront but I can't find it.

My computer as Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit and Forefront Client Security without MOM.

Does any one can help me trying to solve this problem?

Thanks,
    Pedro Gonçalves
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Pedro,

Yes, there is no FCS v2 beta package released. As far as I know, we have released Forefront Security for Exchange Server, Forefront Security for SharePoint and Forefront Threat Management Gateway. And Microsoft is also providing the beta 2 experience of Forefront Client Security and the Management Console as VHD’s.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

According to your issue, I suggest you login the computer with safe mode. After that, please run a scan and clean the virus. Then restart computer and try to login the computer normally to see if it works.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Hi Nick,

I forgot to say but if I log in Safe Mode it has exactly the same beavior. The diference is that at the black screen it has the Safe Mode sentence and Windows version.
    The same beavior happens for all (3) users that I've configured. Only one is Administrator.

So, basically, I haven't access to the windows. That's why I'm trying to access with a startup disk.

With the setup disk, in the Repair Options, I'm able to open a command prompt, but I can´t run the Forefront scan. It gave me a memory read error!? Probably is missing some service or something that it needs to run.

Is there a command that I can run at the command prompt?
    What other options I have?

I tryied to reinstall the Windows, but there isn't the  repair installation that has the Windows XP. I've only the option to install a new Vista copying the old files to Windows.old.

Regards,
    Pedro
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

As far as I know, Repair installation for Windows Vista will keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs. But you should be perform a upgrade install from within your currently running Windows Vista. As this issue is related to Windows Vista, it is recommend you to get further support in our Windows Vista forum. The engineers and community members there have more experience and can help you in a more efficient way.

Windows Vista Applications

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/threads

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Thank you Nick.

I gave up!

You rigth about keeping all personal information, but it seams that Vista hasn't the ability, as has Win XP, to repair the instalation. So, when I run the Vista setup program only the new installation is available. The upgrade it's unable!

I had to give up. I copied all my personal data to a backup disk and formated the computer disk.
    Because Windows 7 is there, I install it. During the setup I saw what could be a solution. probably it would be possible to upgrade my Vista installation to Windows 7. But now it's too late. I've already formated the disk.
    After install Win 7 I copied all may data and started to install all programs I needed. I'd several problems with programs that existed on Windows Vista, like Windows Mail and Photo Gallery, but that's a Windows problem like you sad.

But I found a Forefront problem on Windows 7. There aren't yet a version, even a Trial version, of Forefront client security for Windows 7. There's only a VHD installation to test it.
    That's not cool, and I found myself installing the only antivirus product I found that runs on Windows 7: the McAfee!

Regards,
    Pedro
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Hi Pedro,

Yes, there is no FCS v2 beta package released. As far as I know, we have released Forefront Security for Exchange Server, Forefront Security for SharePoint and Forefront Threat Management Gateway. And Microsoft is also providing the beta 2 experience of Forefront Client Security and the Management Console as VHD’s.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:43 AM