WIN7 32 Bit Task not being Scheduled with 64 Bit Tasks running RRS feed

• Question

• On my WIN7 system (Multi-Processor) the Process Task Scheduling does not appear to work as it should.

The tasks I am referring to are tasks that are currently running, but are not being scheduled for any CPU time. They can be viewed with the Windows Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). The Tasks I am referring to are what the Windows' Task Manager refers to as Processes.

I am running Visual Basic 6 (VB6) and a 64 Bit version of BOINC 6.10.58 on this computer.

I am running VB6 at a CPU Priority of “High” and it gets none or almost no Run Time, while the BOINC tasks running at a CPU Priority of “Low”, Run almost all the Time.

The VB6 task, like the BOINC tasks, is CPU intensive and with a High Priority it should be getting at least as much time as each BOINC task gets.

Why is WIN7 not scheduling the 32 bit process to run?

The CPU is an INTEL I7-740QM 1.73-2.93GHZ

If I only allow BOINC to use at most 7 of the 8 CPUs, then the VB6 process runs as it should.

When I run the 32 bit version of BOINC and VB6 on a single processor WINXP system, the VB6 program gets most of the CPU time as I would expect.

The CPU is an INTEL PENTIUM M 2.26

Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:17 AM

Answers