Mailbox of Exchange 2007 not discovered with SCOM R2 RRS feed

• Question

• The Exchange 2007, SCOM and the AD servers in the domain are Server 2008 SP2.

I have an Exchange 2007 SP1 (standard installation) server and SCOM R2 Server.

I imported all the Exchange 2007 management pack

Installed an Agent on the Exchange server and followed the steps in the manual OM2007_MP_EX2007_R2.doc

In the "Distributed Applications" the "Exchange 2007 service" is Healthy

In " Windows Computers" I see the server "Agent", "Windows operation system", " unified messaging role", "client access role", "Hub transport role" and "Best practice" as Healthy ,the Discovery helper as "Not monitored" and all the mailbox roles are all empty

And In the "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007" > "Server State" I have 3 lines all of my Exchange server

1 unified messaging

2 client access

3 Hub transport

The "mailbox" role line in missing

I Overrides\Enable All the discoveries

Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role Discovery

Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role Discovery

Exchange 2007 Standalone CCR Node Discovery

Exchange 2007 CAS Role Discovery

Exchange 2007 Hub Transport Role Discovery

Exchange 2007 Edge Role Discovery

Exchange 2007 UM Role Discovery

Why the mailbox role is not discovered?

I don’t know if its relevant but I have the following Warning in the operation manager event log in the exchange server:

Level	Date and Time	Source	Event ID	Task Category
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:OAB, Download Task Queued, All Instances in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

One or more workflows were affected by this.  

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.Cas.MSExchangeFDSOAB.DownloadTaskQueued 
    Instance name: Client Access (Real) 
    Instance ID: {4C9EFF09-AAFD-AA97-2B44-C1EE9D58F3C1} 
    Management group: C"
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:OAB, Download Tasks Completed, All Instances in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.Cas.MSExchangeFDSOAB.DownloadTasksCompleted 
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:OAB, Download Tasks Completed, All Instances in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.Cas.PerformanceMonitor.MSExchangeFDSOAB.DownloadTasksCompleted 
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:UM, Download Tasks Completed, All Instances in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.UM.MSExchangeFDSUM.DownloadTasksCompleted 
    Instance name: Unified Messaging (Real) 
    Instance ID: {1B27754E-227F-3DA7-A93A-2EC6CBF9F2C9} 
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:UM, Download Task Queued, All Instances in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.UM.MSExchangeFDSUM.DownloadTaskQueued 
    Warning	7/12/2009 6:10:02 PM	Health Service Modules	10103	None	"In PerfDataSource, could not find counter MSExchangeFDS:UM, Download Tasks Completed, _Total in Snapshot. Unable to submit Performance value. Module will not be unloaded. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange2007.UM.PerformanceMonitor.MSExchangeFDSUM.DownloadTasksCompleted 

• Edited by ili101 Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:26 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• Not sure what may be happening but here are some more proactive things you could do:

1) Open Operations Manager Console, and go to Monitoring Discovered Inventory.  Change the target type to agent.  From the Task menu launch the running workflows.  See if for the object corresponding to the Discovery Helper of the mailbox if there is a workflow called Microsoft.Exchange2007.ServerRole.CcrNode.Standalone.Discovery.  This will confirm that the agent is running the discovery workflow.

2) The discoveries run once every 24 hours by default, so it is possible when the discovery ran the first time something glyched and you didn't get your discovery.  You can set an override for the mailbox server and set it to run more frequently.  Changing the interval will automatically cause the discovery workflow to re-run.  While you are setting the interval you can also set the logging level override to 6.  This will cause the discovery to log event ID =100 in the operations manager log on the mailbox server which might indicate where a problem is occurring.

Also check and see if anything is in the registry for the following keys:
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster for the value FQDN_MSExchangeSA1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox is present in the registry

• Marked as answer by ili101 Monday, July 13, 2009 5:55 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:01 AM
  • I suspect KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster\FQDN_MSExchangeSA1 is your problem then.
    Backup your Exchange server for safety sake then rename the cluster key to something different, then cycle your Exchange server.  If the server restarts normally you should be good to remove the cluster key and then discovery should happen normally.   If the server doesn't restart normally rename the Key back, and look into how to clean up your Exchange server because the server isn't sure if it is a stand alone or a cluster.

The Operations Manager discovery is getting confused because the Cluster\FQDN_MSExchangeSA1 is present the agent thinks the server is clustered, but when the agent checks if the server is clustered the Operating System is likely saying the server isn't clustered.  So the agent fails out not discovering your cluster.

• Proposed as answer by S. Halsey Monday, July 13, 2009 5:01 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:01 PM

All replies

• Couple of things to check:

1) What account are you using for the Default action account on your Exchange 2007 servers?  Local System or a user acount?  If it is a user account have you filled in the Account Profiles for the Exchange 2007 MP (Operations Manager Console-> Administration -> Run As Configuration-> Profiles). The mailbox discovery requires an account that has read access to the Exchange Organization to correctly discover the Mailbox server role.

2) Have you enabled the agents on the Exchange server to allow proxy?
    Enable Agent Proxy configuration on all Exchange Servers identified from the groups. This is in the Administration node under Administration -> Device Management -> Agent Managed. Right-click on each Exchange server, select Properties, then the Security tab, and check the box to “Allow this agent to act as a proxy and discover managed objects on other computers.” This has to be done for EVERY EXCHANGE SERVER, even if the server is added after your initial configuration of OpsMgr.

3) For the mailbox server is there a discovery helper that corresponds to the mailbox servers name discovered? Are you using a standalone mailbox or a clustered mailbox?  If it is clustered then are there discovery helper objects discovered for the physical nodes of the cluster along with the network names of the cluster virtual servers?  If there are no discovery helpers on the mailbox server is this registry key present on your server: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0 ?

4) The MSExchangeFD errors are ignorable.  In this case you don't have a File Share Offline Address book for your Client Access Servers or your Unified Messaging servers configured, so the performance counters do not exist for the agent to collect.  This won't cause any harms besides the errors you see, check out http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/10/16/429204.aspx for information on the file share OAB and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998914.aspx for information on creating a dial plan for your unified messaging servers.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi

The Discovery Helper as Not Monitored isn't an issue - that it how it will be.

If you use PerfMon, do the counters listed as "could not find" above actually exist on the Exchange Server?

If you look at the Exchange 2007 Computer Group, is (are) your mailbox server(s) listed there?

Also, are there errors in the windows application log. I saw an issue with the discovery of mailbox server last week when the Exchange server was overwhelmed by other issues - the actual way I found out there was a problem was by looking at the MPs running on the Exchange (mailbox) server and finding there were only about 10 .... there is an MP folder in the agent folder on the agent ..... are all the Exchange MPs listed there?
    http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/how-do-i-know-what-rules-or-monitors-are-running-on-an-agent/

Cheers

Graham
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:12 PM
  •  
    1. I Use Local System account.
    2. Proxy is allowed.
    3. standalone mailbox ,I Override\Enable "Exchange 2007 Standalone CCR Node Discovery" and the registry Key is correct.

Graham Davies:

The MPs are listed in the agent directory, including the

"Microsoft.Exchange.Server.2007.Monitoring.Mailbox.{1CFE7BF1-7177-337C-1255-241877E86156}.{8DEC6D4E-14F1-65D2-1C62-4DAFC118D4A3}.xml"

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Not sure what may be happening but here are some more proactive things you could do:

1) Open Operations Manager Console, and go to Monitoring Discovered Inventory.  Change the target type to agent.  From the Task menu launch the running workflows.  See if for the object corresponding to the Discovery Helper of the mailbox if there is a workflow called Microsoft.Exchange2007.ServerRole.CcrNode.Standalone.Discovery.  This will confirm that the agent is running the discovery workflow.

2) The discoveries run once every 24 hours by default, so it is possible when the discovery ran the first time something glyched and you didn't get your discovery.  You can set an override for the mailbox server and set it to run more frequently.  Changing the interval will automatically cause the discovery workflow to re-run.  While you are setting the interval you can also set the logging level override to 6.  This will cause the discovery to log event ID =100 in the operations manager log on the mailbox server which might indicate where a problem is occurring.

Also check and see if anything is in the registry for the following keys:
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster for the value FQDN_MSExchangeSA1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox is present in the registry

Monday, July 13, 2009 1:01 AM
    1. I having little trouble following your instruction after
    2. Monitoring > Discovered Inventory > Change target type > agent

3. override done
    4. The registry keys under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox" is normal
    5. What interesting is that the registry key "KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster\FQDN_MSExchangeSA1"

And some other values exist in spite that there is no cluster installed!

An exchange cluster installation was attempted on that server before the cornet standard exchange installation

Maybe some registry keys remain and they are confusing the SCOM exchange discovery?

Monday, July 13, 2009 7:19 AM
  • I suspect KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster\FQDN_MSExchangeSA1 is your problem then.
    Backup your Exchange server for safety sake then rename the cluster key to something different, then cycle your Exchange server.  If the server restarts normally you should be good to remove the cluster key and then discovery should happen normally.   If the server doesn't restart normally rename the Key back, and look into how to clean up your Exchange server because the server isn't sure if it is a stand alone or a cluster.

The Operations Manager discovery is getting confused because the Cluster\FQDN_MSExchangeSA1 is present the agent thinks the server is clustered, but when the agent checks if the server is clustered the Operating System is likely saying the server isn't clustered.  So the agent fails out not discovering your cluster.

• Proposed as answer by S. Halsey Monday, July 13, 2009 5:01 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:01 PM
  •  

Thank you deleting the leftover key solved the problem
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cluster

Monday, July 13, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I have the same problem, only i have a cluster installed.

However i don't have the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox" key. How can i solve this?

(i do have: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\MailboxRole])
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:43 PM