none
BitLocker Drive Encryption failed to recover from an abruptly terminated conversion. This could be due to either all conversion logs being corrupted or the media being write-protected.

Question

• At first, I don't need to recover my data, I just want my drive back to re-use it.

How can a format my usb drive including all boot sectors which sees to be locked/write-protected by bitlocker?

My problem starts with decrypting my drive by deactivting bitlocker on it by entering the valid password/recovery key. At 36% of decryption the process halts without reason. Now, I'm unable to access my drive or resume the process.

I tried...

...to format with windows

..remove with diskmgmt

... remove with diskpart

... repair-bde

... manage-bde

... ubuntu live cd

... mass production tool software, to override the whole stick

nothing worked. The only thing which worked was once the software M3 Bitlocker recovery Free, but just one time to access the locked partition. But, as mentioned I don't need to recover my data. With that tool I'm not able to wipe the drive.

That Bitlocker protects my data till the end is good, but that it breaks my data and my hardware in such a case is not fair.

How can I break the write-protection mode to finally wipe the hard drive?

• Edited by Aviscall Thursday, September 03, 2015 11:10 AM
    Thursday, September 03, 2015 11:08 AM

Answers

• Bitlocker cannot break hardware. If the hard drive was broken before, BL cannot decrypt, nor will you be able to format, so it sounds more likely to be a defective drive in the first place.

I have cleared BL from dozens of drives, format alone would always be enough.

Sunday, September 06, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Hi Aviscall,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, we could refer to the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/bitlocker-drive-encryption-failed-to-recover-from/65c14211-c059-4cbb-8f13-5cc7117dd36b?auth=1 

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 07, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• Bitlocker cannot break hardware. If the hard drive was broken before, BL cannot decrypt, nor will you be able to format, so it sounds more likely to be a defective drive in the first place.

I have cleared BL from dozens of drives, format alone would always be enough.

Sunday, September 06, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Hi Aviscall,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, we could refer to the following link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/bitlocker-drive-encryption-failed-to-recover-from/65c14211-c059-4cbb-8f13-5cc7117dd36b?auth=1 

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 07, 2015 8:43 AM