Problems installing with nForce 3 RAID RRS feed

• Question

• I have currently installed Windows XP x64 Edition in a 300+200Gb nForce 3 RAID (as JBOD).

When I try to upgrade it launching the Vista Beta 2 x64 installer from XP, it says it is unable to upgrade XP x64 edition.

So what?

I boot directly from the DVD to do a clean install, and it shows me a message box saying "Setup is unable to check disks", and not showing me the disk menu that allows me to load disk drivers.
    Previous beta releases allowed me to load disk drivers, however there where still no drivers for it.

I try to do a clean install from within XP, and it complains that it needs a driver for boot time accessing to the hard disks, so I provide it, and starts installing.

When rebooting to the second phase of the installation, Vista shows me a BSOD with STOP code 0x0000007B, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

The drives I got are directly from the Vista section on nVidia webpage and this is my hardware:
    ASRock motherboard
    AMD Sempron 64
    Seagate SATA 200Gb + Seagate SATA 300Gb in JBOD mode
    nVidia nForce 3 250 chipset

So what should I do to install Vista Beta 2 without losing 500Gb of data?

Saturday, June 24, 2006 11:56 AM

Answers

• JOBS offers an advantage over individual disks: It joins them when are of different sizes (thing RAID 0 doesnt support).

I installed XP with the "press F6" drivers, and tried to install Vista, both standalone, both from XP indicating it to use the official Vista nForce drivers, with the results indicated above.

However, I finally got it to install, using the XP nForce 3 RAID "press F6" drivers with Vista, and not the Vista official ones, and it worked (installing from XP, installing from standalone gives me the same problem above, no matter what I try, as it doesnt allow me to select a RAID driver)

Saturday, July 1, 2006 2:09 AM

All replies

• I think your problem is using JBOD (why?) rather than as individual disks. Did you install a RAID driver when you installed XP - press F6 and insert floppy (usually) during setup. JBOD isn't RAID at all and offers no real advantage over individual disks that I can see. Sorry, but  I can't offer anything more constructive than backing up your data and  reinstalling  each OS onto its own HD then controlling boot-up thro' the BIOS.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:52 PM
  • JOBS offers an advantage over individual disks: It joins them when are of different sizes (thing RAID 0 doesnt support).

I installed XP with the "press F6" drivers, and tried to install Vista, both standalone, both from XP indicating it to use the official Vista nForce drivers, with the results indicated above.

However, I finally got it to install, using the XP nForce 3 RAID "press F6" drivers with Vista, and not the Vista official ones, and it worked (installing from XP, installing from standalone gives me the same problem above, no matter what I try, as it doesnt allow me to select a RAID driver)

Saturday, July 1, 2006 2:09 AM