app-v load balancing design / idea RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi all,

I am trying to load balance app-v server and I need a little push from the expets to get this going.

so here's what I got so far:

2 DFS servers with a share that both app-v streaming servers use. there's a folder inside this share for each streaming server.

2 app-v servers installed with the typical setup options. each server has its own database on the SQL server.

NLB is enabled on both servers, and a DNS alias has been created to point to the cluster IP Address of the NLB.

I sequenced a package on and copied it to the DFS share in the dedicated folder for each server.

in each app-v server, I imported the application from the DFS share from the folder that is dedicated to the server I am impoting from.

a machine that acts as the client has the app-v client installed and it's pointing to the DNS alias that was created, which resolves to the NLB cluster IP Address. from this machine, I am able to refresh the applicatins and get the shortcut for the application that I published from app-v management servers, and of course I am not sure which server actually the client machine connected to, because it could be either one.

I double click to open this short cut and then I get this error message:

I really think it would be very cool to get this work in HA, so I am ready to take all the help I can get and it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mohsen Almassud
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• regarding the share even though I thought I was using a separate folder for each server, I was actually using the same one for both, so that worked real well.

I attached both servers to the same database and it really makes sense, because when you add or import a new application, both server get it and I am happy.

Mohsen Almassud
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• ok I got it fixed, and instead of just deleting the questions, I am going to reply to myself and post the answer:

the following files are needed in each directory that was dedicated for each server:

DefaultApp.ico

DefaultApp.osd

DeaultApp.sft

DefaultApp_template.osd

as soon I copied them to each directory for each server, it all worked.

hope this helps somebody else.

Thanks

Mohsen Almassud
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:28 PM
  • actually I spoke way too soon, because it worked a couple of times and now it's back to where it was when I posed the questins, so I still need help :(

Mohsen Almassud
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:52 PM
  • ok I got it good this time. I had to copy the package to the root of the share besides having a copy of in the server dedicated share. of course I am sure only one the copies of the package being used but I am not sure which one is it, but my guess is it's going to be in the one in the root, which would be even better than having to have multiple copis of it.

Thanks again.

MJ

Mohsen Almassud
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:26 PM
  • To properly load balance the App-V Management Server, both servers should be connected to the same database.

Additionally, if you're using DFS and a single highly available file server, both servers can use the same share - don't create a folder for each server. (You can alternatively use DFS-Replication to synchronise local content shares on each Management Server).

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:22 PM
  • regarding the share even though I thought I was using a separate folder for each server, I was actually using the same one for both, so that worked real well.

I attached both servers to the same database and it really makes sense, because when you add or import a new application, both server get it and I am happy.

Mohsen Almassud
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:00 AM